Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving line rental with freeola

mauromeneghin
Hooked

Moving line rental with freeola

Hello,

I've had an ADSL broadband with plusnet for many years.

On the freeola.com web site it looks like I can pay a cheaper line rental with them while continuing to use PlusNet just as my internet provider.

Can you please confirm if this is going to work (without outages) and I won't be charged extra for the line rental by plusnet?

9 REPLIES 9
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Moving line rental with freeola

There's a surcharge of £3 a month on your broadband fee if you have line rental elsewhere.
Possibly also early termination fees for the contract.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Home Phone to My Account / Billing 

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

I don’t believe plus net, nor many other isp’s these days, do broadband only contracts.

Tags (1)
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

@Mustrum You are correct - although I know Zen do, and last time I looked, so did A&A - but that was a couple of years ago. All the 'mass-market' ones don't, though.

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@mauromeneghin 

So if you consider that probably only the premium priced ISP’s offer a broadband only service, cancellation charges and the possible nightmare if you have a connection problem being flip flopped between the ISP and phone line provider, each claiming that getting it fixed is the others responsibility, you might conclude that it’s not a good idea.
If you want a cheap tariff and are in receipt of relevant state benefits then look at the BT Home Essentials service.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for your post @mauromeneghin and welcome to our Community Forums.

To confirm, we don't offer broadband only packages although technically it is possible if you transfer your phone line to another provider who uses the BT infrastructure while keeping the same phone number. 

You'll then get a surcharge on top of your usual broadband cost and you may incur an early termination fee.

I'd though recommend giving our Customer Options Team a call on 0800 013 2632 as I'm sure we'd be able to tempt you with a new deal for both phone and broadband with us. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mauromeneghin
Hooked

I see the line rental is now 22£/month and ADSL internet for me is 11£/month, so line rental is now twice the cost. We are at a point where such high line rental cost becomes questionable, especially for households that do not use a phone.

I found out recently that freeola offers a silent line, basically loosing the phone number and only suitable for internet for about half price 12£/month, this is a significant saving over an year. 

You have a fair point that switching is an inconvenience and I don't fancy any internet outage, however I'm starting to consider a switch either partial (only line getting rid of a phone number or total), the saving starts to become significant, it would be 12£/month*12month line rental savings - extra charges, that is still significant

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@mauromeneghin  are you sure you have your sums right? Have you just finished a line rental saver or something?

New adsl contracts are available from £18.99 and include broadband and line rental, are you sure the £22 you quote does not include line rental and broadband?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

@mauromeneghin I suspect you’re out of contract and you’re quoting the standard prices for line rental and broadband? We can definitely give you a cheaper deal if you call us on 0800 013 2632

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet