cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving into a home already with a Plusnet account

wncfc
Grafter

Moving into a home already with a Plusnet account

My son has sold his house and is moving out next week.  He is going to move in with me on a temporary basis till he finds somewhere new.  He is still in his Plusnet contract with around 10 months still to run. He is on Unlimited broadband at £9.99, Phone line only at £17.99 with a discount of £9.99.

It appears as though the only option is to cancel his account, and open a new one when he gets a new home.  However I presume this will involve a early termination charge - not sure how much this will be but I guess quite a lot.   Is there any way to suspend his account for a few months and reinstate it when he moves into somewhere new?  Or is there any other way of doing this to avoid the termination charge.

3 REPLIES 3
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: Moving into a home already with a Plusnet account

Hi @wncfc,

I'm sorry to say it's not possible for us to temporarily suspend/freeze an account. If we cease a service, we need to stop billing for the service and close the account.

While the situation your son is in is certainly less than ideal, the only other option I can think of to avoid early termination fees would be moving the service to your address (As a second line) while he's there and then move the services again when he finds a new place.

When moving house we would offer a new contract in exchange for us covering the house move fees, although the new contract may not have the same level of discounts currently on the account, the alternative to this would be paying the £65 house move fees (+£49.99 for a new line installation fee) and retaining the existing contract. However at that point, without looking at the account I'm not sure if the early termination fees would work out cheaper Undecided

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
wncfc
Grafter

Thanks for that  (I think!!!).   If I've understood correctly from https://portal.plus.net/help/legal/plusnet-price-guide-for-residential-products/ the termination fee for unlimited broadband will be £9.87 per month, so probably £98.70 if I've got the length of the contract right.  That is obviously cheaper than paying for the house move.  I think I have read somewhere that you would only do one free house move, so if we took advantage of your suggestion to move to mine, we would then have to pay when he eventually gets his own place.  Given that we would also be paying the monthly fee for a service we would not be actually using, I think paying the cancellation charge is going to be the cheapest option.  Does all that sound correct?

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@wncfc wrote:

I think I have read somewhere that you would only do one free house move, so if we took advantage of your suggestion to move to mine, we would then have to pay when he eventually gets his own place.

Although that's certainly how it used to work. I've double checked this with a colleague and I've been advised that's no longer the case.

So your son would be able to take a new contract to offset the housemove costs  while moving the services to your address and then do the same when moving them to his new address when the time comes.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet