Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving home

richandsian
Grafter

Moving home

Hi
I'm expecting to move to a new build shortly (might exchange tomorrow). I'm looking mostly for the fastest way of transferring broadband to the new address.
I've currently got a BT line with PN for FTTC. I'm wondering if, as it seems there's a £2.50 discount too, it might be a good idea to ask PN to organise the phone line and the broadband move.
Does anyone have any ideas on costs, timescales, any other views? Thanks.
ETA: While my hopes are still unrealistically high - is it possible to tell from an address (no telephone number) if I might be able to get FTTP?
13 REPLIES 13
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Moving home

Giving the House Moves Team a call will be the best approach. Using the address they should be able to check what's available at your new property and advise accordingly.
Moving Home information
David
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there,
A move of services can take a couple of weeks to process so I'd try and give us as much notice as possible.
The cost is £65 if you chose to pay upfront however we can offer a free alternative if you recontract with us. As spraxyt mentions the house moves team are the people to speak to.
With regards to availability of different services this is the best place to check http://dslchecker.bt.com/
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
richandsian
Grafter

Thanks for the above.
On the 3rd of April I was told this would be done on the 20th - I'm working from home from the 20th so not ideal for it not to be before then, but I don't expect miracles, this has been a fast move in all other respects.
Since then the ticket's been put on hold for a few days at a time seemingly to check for a supplier update. It's next due to be checked on Friday but experience tells me that means it's unlikely to get looked at until the Monday - the 20th.
The 20th is looking pretty unlikely at this rate from what I can see - does anyone know how many more hoops there are once there is a supplier update? Any bets on whether this happens before May?! Smiley
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

From looking at the order it appears that there's ducting work that needs doing.
We're due further updates on Friday but we'll let you know if anything changes.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
richandsian
Grafter

Thanks for taking a look.
richandsian
Grafter

Moving day today and the new estimate for getting connected has been pushed back from Monday to roughly a month away.
Guess I need to find some office space to rent by Monday, probably for three months!
richandsian
Grafter

Ugh.
I'm sat at the old house about to start work on a new contract - we have this house for around another month so there's a slim chance I could keep working from home here until OR/BT/PN get their acts together and connect the new house up.
Except, from an automated "sorry you're leaving us" email I've had from BT it looks as though BT are likely to cancel the line today.
This could be a bad day, I guess I'll find out as someone staffs the phone line.
richandsian
Grafter

It seems there's no cease order, which makes the email seem odd, but hopefully all will be well.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

From looking at the notes we have from our suppliers it looks like there's a delay for the entire build with cabling.
We've been told there will be further updates on the 28th but if anything changes we'll be in touch.
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
richandsian
Grafter

Goodbye April. Hello May.
I've now had a "final" bill from BT so getting very nervous that I might be cut off before the last of the services arrives at the new property. Still no sign off it arriving yet though.  Sad
dragon2611
Grafter

If you don't need high amounts of usage you could look at getting a 3g/4g connection from one of the mobile networks, assuming you can get a decent mobile signal.
Can usually get them on Prepaid or if you need a higher data allowance a 30day contract.
At least then you'd have some connectivity whilst you wait for BT to sort out installing a new phoneline.
richandsian
Grafter

Mobile signal here seems to be terrible, I can just about use these forums over 3g, but it's not enough for me to work.
A BT engineer's here now, peeved that he's doing a dependency job someone else hasn't done right for this property, on top of another one that hadn't been done and suspecting there's a further one that's not been done - if that hasn't been done he reckons he'll have to leave it as, he only gets paid for what he was sent to do originally.
He also had a record of them calling at the property before and not being able to get access - news to me, I've not been told they were coming before now and would gladly have been here. The standard farce then.
Sad
The_10th
Grafter

You have my sympathy having not long moved to a new build myself. Took about a month to get a phone line but this was after two appointments that BT didn't have anyone turn up for even though the engineer said to me the day before the 1st appointment he would be there the next day! Second appointment shouldn't have been scheduled as 'off-site' cabling wasn't to complete until after the 'scheduled' date.
I was at home during the day when a BT engineer (same as the one above) turned up unannounced and before the two week 'update on cabling work' date, to say he would install the phone line! 10 mins later and I had a working phone line - he also supplied the phone number then. Did have to chase Plusnet a couple of times to say my phone was in and to get Broadband asap - got it in 4 days from the call to Plusnet asking for ADSL.
We had to rely on very slow and expensive 3G data and makes you realise how much broadband is missed and how mobile data is purely that - for being mobile and not for doing any serious work with.
Hang in there, don't lose heart and before too long you should be working again. BT are meant to provide broadband within 4 days of ordering so once your phone line is installed you can be relatively happy broadband won't be far behind. I opted for ADSL to get some decent speed back and this had the 4 day guarantee, and then Fibre once this was in place. You may wish to do likewise.