cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving home problem

daro2096
Grafter

Moving home problem

I just recently moved. The phone line in my new place was switched on on the 15th September.
The problem was that in moving my broadband from the old to the new place PlusNet somehow managed to have the phone line at the old place where my dad still lives switched off. My dad is now currently without a phone until Monday. Luckily for my dad he has a mobile phone. All this despite ringing PlusNet and telling them to not switch off the phone at the old place where my dad pays BT for the phone only. At the old place I paid for broadband separately from the phone.
Well done PlusNet. Sad
11 REPLIES 11
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Re: Moving home problem

Hi daro2096.
I'm really sorry to hear about this. I hope the weekend hasn't been too stressful.
I'm pretty sure that the reason this happened, is that we took the telephone number from your old property, and reserved it to a new one.
When we reserve a BT range telephone number that is already assigned to a different telephone line, it will cease the old line that it used to be numbered to.
What would have been best, was if we were to firstly give you a random telephone number in the new place. Then change the number at the old property to a random one (which releases your old number). Then we should have renumbered your new line back to the old number.
Whilst this is probably down to agent knowledge, I suppose it's one of the more intricate pieces of the provisioning process which are harder to grasp.
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

@MattyC
Why were you messing about with numbers at all?
What was required was simply to issue a broadband only cease at the old address and install a new line with a new number at the new address.
I'm expecting to see the next post on here is that his father's phone is working but his phone number has been changed and he wants his own number back.
What I find incredible is that Plusnet can get away with messing about with the phone for someone other than the account holder and who isn't even a Plusnet customer!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Good morning jelv,
Quote from: jelv
What was required was simply to issue a broadband only cease at the old address and install a new line with a new number at the new address.

Based on the house move, daro2096 actually wanted us to bring the phone number from his old property to his new property, rather than be issued with a new number.
This is what unfortunately ceased the line at his old place.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Have you confirmation of that or are you assuming that because it's a home move he wants to take the number (which isn't his) with him?
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It is highlighted on the house moves ticket so I'll admit that it is a presumption based on the information on the account. But this is the only way that we could have possibly ceased a line that wasn't in our ownership without placing any sort of phone order to take it over.
I have checked on our suppliers systems and we have absolutely no relation with the line other than the fact that we provided a broadband asset on it.
I suppose that the other alternative could be that BT ceased the line.
daro2096
Grafter

What happened right was I tried to do a house move online but accidently switched the phone line at my dad's house from BT to PlusNet when I just wanted to move the broadband and set up a landline at my new place. I straight away phoned PlusNet and told them what I had done and told them to cancel the phone move. They said it would be cancelled. Told them I was moving. Wanted phone set up at new place and leave the phone at my dad's alone.
So PlusNet set up the phone and net at my new place which was activated in the afternoon of the 15th of this month. A couple of days later my dad gets a letter from BT that he was moving to PlusNet and a final bill for £100+. My dad rings BT and tells them that he isn't moving the phone and that he wants to stay with BT. Then last Saturday my dad finds his landline deactivated. Dad luckily has a mobile and got BT to reactivate the line which will be done on Monday, today.
Well done PlusNet.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

@MattyC
Looks like you need to check out that phone call and what was done as a result of it!
daro2096
Grafter

My dad is still without a land line.  Angry
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'm sorry to hear that this is still the case  Sad
I'll try contacting you later to discuss this if you don't mind.
Matty
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for speaking with me earlier daro2096.
It appears that I was incorrect with the above information.
Our systems placed a phone transfer order at the old address on 04/09. I'll hold my hands up and say that this was done in error. However, BT cancelled this on 09/09/2014. That should have resolved the problem and stopped your Dad from being cut off.
This is the only interaction we have had with the phone line at your old property, so we cannot really attest as to why he still got cut off.
Sorry for the confusion there.
Matty
daro2096
Grafter

Thank you but my dad still doesn't have an active phone line.