cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving home - continuity of supply

winfamb
Hooked

Moving home - continuity of supply

I am struggling to get a straight answer or consistent out of PlusNet on this seemingly simple question so I'll ask the community for their experience.

I am moving house shortly. The house we are moving to has Vodafone BT connection. They get about 67Mps. The current owner works from home.

I have an unopened hub2 router here (I didn't change from the old one after sorting out some wi-fi issues with it). 

Can I get PlusNet to switch the BT connection to them so that I can have continuity of supply (I need it for my work) and plug my hub2 router in and off we go.

I have been told by PlusNet - no I can't - it will take two weeks to do the switch.

I have also been told by PlusNet - yes I can - but I will only get 18Mps - but they were very unclear about what is involved.

I do have the option through Vodafone of transfer of ownership which guarantees continuity of supply but I'm no fan of Vodafone and have been a PlusNet (and force9) customer for ages and am 2 months into a 18 month contract.

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: Moving home - continuity of supply

@winfamb 

You can double check what's available at your new property using the following. Click through to the Address version, enter the post code only and then select the Address from the drop down menu.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL 

PlusNet have a House Move team but the only phone number I have is for the Options Team 0800 013 2632 - you could try them.

Brian

winfamb
Hooked

Thanks that link confirms what I know to be available - though interestingly it hints at FTTP which is a surprise.

But the speeds are in line with what I have been told by the current occupier.

Thanks

I'll try that number.

Barry

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

That's the correct number for the Home moves team, just select I'm moving House from the IVR menu.

https://www.plus.net/help/my-account/moving-home-or-office/

If you give sufficient notice , 4 weeks is mentioned in the help above, then it SHOULD be possible to enable service at the new property on the moving date. A lot depends on cooperation of the current occupiers though!. If they cancel with their ISP then there will be a cease order on the line, which can prevent any other ISP placing an order until the cease completes. With their cooperation it should be possible to place a transfer order , providing there's a minimum of 14 days notice.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bmc
Hero

@winfamb 

If you can post an image of the results window (hiding the address) we can advise. In short, however, your looking for WBC FTTP in the left hand window. FTTP on Demand is an entirely different beast.

Brian

winfamb
Hooked

Thank you I've uploaded the results from that link.

Barry

bmc
Hero

@winfamb 

FTTP is not available at the new address. FTTP on Demand was / is an expensive method of getting a service  - more suitable for businesses or those with deep pockets.

Far more applicable to you is the waiting list for FTTC - this means you can't order / transfer you service.You can (currently) only get "up to 17" from ADSL. If you're lucky the Waiting List is only temporary but who knows with OpenReach.

Brian

winfamb
Hooked

This was along the lines of a conversation I had with someone from PlusNet who knew what they were talking about.

The cabinet is full and when the current slot is released there is no guarantee that we will get that slot in a move to PlusNet. Even so I could be a number of days without broadband and when I get it it could be at ADSL speeds for ages.

I can't do my job at home on ADSL.

So my choices are limited - so what I am going to do is transfer of ownership of the current contract and I become - with regret a vodafone customer.

I have checked with Plusnet and there should no termination fee as they cannot provide the same service as I have now.

Thank you for your help

bmc
Hero

@winfamb 

I guess these things happen!!! At least you can transfer the Vodafone contract but you'll also get their phone number - potential for lots of wrong numbers.

Be aware (if it matters) that you'll lose you PlusNet e-mail.

Brian

Mav
Fixes: 515

@winfamb 

If it's any help I had to move two lines within the last seven months both showing as Waiting. I checked every day and as soon as each was showing as available I contacted Plusnet to do the switch. One line took around a week to become available and the other a little longer both at the same address.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's note(s):

Thread moved from Broadband to My Account/Billing.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still