cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving home and similar service not available, what are my options?

havoplus
Dabbler

Moving home and similar service not available, what are my options?

Hi there,

Im moving home in the coming week and have checked out the services available to me at my new address and it seems that across the board on the openreach infrastructure the average speed available at the address will be 27-36 with a guaranteed 25 down and 1-2 up (plusnet, bt infinity etc all quoting the same numbers give or take a few mb).

My current speeds are a solid 70-78 down and 16-19 up, which I've been very happy with since joining plusnet in April this year, especially as the upload speeds are critical to my internet usage (streaming on youtube/twitch etc).

Would plusnet be understanding of the situation and allow me to come out of my contract early seeing the same service just isn't available, or would I be expected to finish paying the last 6 months of my contract despite being forced to return to virgin media to meet the speeds I require to continue with my normal usage? (which believe me I wish I didn't have to do, VM customer service is god awful).

Any guidance would be appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Moving home and similar service not available, what are my options?

They might let you go down to the 40/10 service, but you have already left it a lot late to be asking thus question. Have you arrange a Home move yet?

havoplus
Dabbler

Hey thanks for the reply.

A finalised address was only decided on a few days ago, its been a pretty quick get up and move for a job oppertunity I couldnt turn down.

Sadly 40/10 wont suffice for my needs.

Currently after some research Sky, BT and EE customers who cannot get the same level of service after a move can cancel their contracts without any early termination fees, I assume Plusnet would be the kind of company to have the same kind of policy, otherwise itll be in the pool of companies that don't like talktalk and zen.

havoplus
Dabbler

Just off the phone to plusnet moving team, the girl I talked to insisted that there was a cancellation fee and told me to go to Virgin Media, lol.

£106 in cancellation fees "because it costs that much to disconnect the property", most expensive switch being flicked I've ever heard of.

Suffice to say I'm disappointed in PlusNets moving home policies and their unwillingness to regain a future customer (I explained that my current service is perfect and I'd want to return to plusnet when I move again in late 2018). I'll be choosing one of the above mentioned providers who have sensible moving policies in the future.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there.

I believe we've spoken over Twitter?

Unfortunately if you've chosen to move to an address within your contract where we can't supply the same service and as a result you're wanting to cancel your account, we'd charge a cancellation fee for breaking the contract.

I do appreciate your circumstances but it costs us more than you'd think to supply you with a service as a new customer. Costs which we recover over time and as you've decided to leave us, we've had to charge an early termination charge [ETC].

£106 in cancellation fees "because it costs that much to disconnect the property", most expensive switch being flicked I've ever heard of.

£30 of that would be the cease fee to cover the cost incurred of removing broadband from the line.

The rest of the charge is the ETC.

Have you thought about another option? We could move your services to your new address without starting a new contract then when the 6 months is up you'll be free to move away with any early termination fees [except the possible cease fee].

Though, with that option there'd be the £65 house move fee and a possible new line install of £49.99.

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet