cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving from Sky to PlusNet - different Transfer dates?

harryw66
Grafter

Moving from Sky to PlusNet - different Transfer dates?

Hi,
I just signed up on-line to Plusnet Fibre Extra + HomePhone package. I am currently with Sky for normal broadband and phone package.
I just received some text messages from Sky saying my Broadband and Talk will switch on the 17th of July.
However, the PlusNet Engineer dates I have chosen were for the 22nd and 23rd of July.
So, what happens for the 6-7 days in the meantime? I cant afford to be without Broadband OR landline for those few days?
Help! - only signed up an hour ago and already worried things are going wrong....
Thanks!
25 REPLIES 25
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Moving from Sky to PlusNet - different Transfer dates?

Hi harryw66,
Welcome to the Forums!
I'm unsure why SKY have texted you that the switchover date is the 17th.  Undecided
We have requested the FTTC engineer for 23/06/2014 23/07/2014 between 1PM and 6PM, however, we're currently awaiting confirmation from Openreach that the appointment is booked hence why we've not sent you any confirmation at the moment.
I would await confirmation from us and then give SKY a call to make sure that they have the same date on their systems.
Sorry for any confusion or inconvenience caused.
harryw66
Grafter

Hi Linn,
Thanks for the prompt reply.
Clearly PlusNet have sent some information to Sky - because I have not told them anything about the move yet.
Can you please check someone / some system at PlusNet has not sent the wrong info?
I would rather not start getting in between PlusNet and Sky - especially if some at PlusNet is telling them one thing and I am telling them something different. Recipe for disaster  Cry
Thanks.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

We don't contact Sky directly, we place an order on our suppliers systems and Sky will receive notice of this. As Linn mentions, you'll be best off waiting for the confirmation from us about the appointment date and then contacting Sky if it's different to the one they've stated.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
harryw66
Grafter

Hi Linn,
I received the PlusNet confirmation email on Saturday and the Engineer visit is confirmed for 23rd July afternoon .
I have just got off the phone from Sky customer services. They have confirmed that they received an 'Unsolicited Cease' request from PlusNet / your supplier for the 11th of July. As far as they are concerned they have a Completion Date confirmed and my landline and Broadband connection with Sky will definitely be disconnected on the 11th of July.
Can you please look into this further and confirm what will happen to my landline and broadband in between 11th of July and the 23rd July.
Just to be clear I am currently on normal Sky (ADSL) Broadband and Phone package with Sky. I have chosen to take your Phone Package and Fibre Extra.
Does this mean that on the 11th of July I will be transferred to your HomePhone package and normal (ADSL) Broadband and then on the 23rd July the Fibre goes live?
Many Thanks!
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi harryw66,
It sounds like Sky have scheduled the closure of the full account for the same date as the phone transfers in however they should leave the account open until the broadband side of the order completes and close it fully at that point instead of when the phone completes. This is unless they're unable to continue providing the broadband service on a standard BT line until this point.
Unfortunately this wouldn't be something we're able to change or even inquire about as we're not able to contact Sky on your behalf to discuss your account. It may be best for you to check with them and ask why they're not able to provide the broadband service past the phone transfer and if there is no valid reason then you should be able to request this to stay active.
Please let us know how you get on with this and we can advise further based on their response.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

If Sky is full LLU moving the phone to non LLU will surely kill the LLU broadband supply
harryw66
Grafter

Adam,
So, can you confirm the Phone package will definitely transfer to PlusNet on the 11th? This has not been made clear to me in any emails etc from PlusNet - the only date I have been informed of is the Engineer visit - and the impression was this visit was related both to the Phone and the Fibre.
Can you please provide some confirmation for me?
The other thing to note is that PlusNet claim this 11th July date is outside their control. But since I did not contact Sky till this morning - it is very clear that something PlusNet did, triggered this 11th July cancellation. The Sky service rep insists the 11th July was the date they received in their automated 'Unsolicited Cease' notification. So, even if PlusNet did not specify this date, then your supplier did and therefore PlusNet should be able to rectify this.
Also, since my Sky broadband is linked to the Sky phone service (it is currently ADSL), when they disconnect my phone line at the exchange, surely the broadband cannot continue as it is provided down the phone line? Therefore, I am confused by your suggestion that I ask them to maintain the broadband a bit longer.
I look forward to your response.
Thanks.,
harryw66
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
If Sky is full LLU moving the phone to non LLU will surely kill the LLU broadband supply

Yes - That is what I thought? I dont see how my broadband can continue beyond the phone disconnect..
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi again harryw66,
I can confirm that the phone order shows a committed date of the 11/07/14 as per the details that Sky gave you on the Unsolicited Cease you mentioned.
With regards to the update from Jim, it may well be that your service is currently fully unbundled which would give you this effect upon switching. With a regular ADSL order this wouldn't cause too much of an issue as the install would be relatively seamless, however, as this is a Fibre install we have the added complexity of arranging an engineer visit for the install which is dictated by the availability within your area at a given time.
If the above is the case then there would be little we could do to marry up the dates of closure and the date that the Fibre goes live as this isn't just a jump in providers but a jump in technology at the same time.
harryw66
Grafter

Hi Adam,
OK - at least I wont lose my phone service for those days - phew...Was not sure how I was going to break that news to the missus!
However, when I spoke to one of your online sales people two weeks ago, I remember being told that I would be initially put on normal Broadband (ie ADSL type) at the same time as the phone line and the Fibre would kick in later.
Please confirm this will be the case.
I know this is how some of your competitors do it - a colleague at work switched to Zen internet recently from Sky and that's what happened for him i.e. phone + ADSL and the Fibre approx two weeks later.
Thanks.
PS Just to confirm that I am on Sky equipment at the Exchange so when the phone gets disconnected - so does the Broadband.
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for the update harryw66,
From what I can see of the account it doesn't appear to have been placed in this way so it may be best to check this with the support team who should be able to place the orders for you.
There may well be a possible delay in cancelling the fibre order to get the ADSL order placed and completed before placing the fibre order again as we can't have 2 orders on the same line at the same time. Your best course of action would be to speak with the Customer Service team and see what arrangements can be made, their contact details can be found here if you need them.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Hi harryw66,
From your post on thinkbroadband it sounds like BTw/OR have rescheduled your phone transfer to coincide with the Fibre install.
If that's the case then Sky should have automatically been informed by them that the phone transfer date has changed.
I'm sure one of the DCT will confirm the situation tomorrow...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

harryw66
Grafter

Yeah I think the amendment is in please- just need to check with Sky tomorrow.
Cheers.
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi harryw66,
I can confirm both the phone and FTTC orders are going through for 23/07/2014. I'd advise checking back with SKY in the next 24-48 working hours. Let us know what they say.