Did you mean: 

Moving - downgrade account to email only

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Moving - downgrade account to email only

I think that the key issues have now been addressed

- authenticated access to the SMTP server, on or off the PlusNET network should work just the same as it does now

- a ceased account cannot be resurrected in the billing system

What might still need consideration - have you your own domain name on the account?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

toggie101
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Okay things do not appear to working as promised.

No email is currently being received, altho' I can send email.

Logging into my account in the Member Centre says "Account Closed".

Could one of the Plusnet Help Team have a look into this as a matter of urgency.

Many thanks.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @toggie01,

I'm sorry that you're currently unable to receive emails and that the account is showing as "closed." The account has now closed but the task to change this over to a mail only account hasn't yet been picked up, following the account closure.

I've sent the team a nudge and I've asked them to move you on to a mail only account ASAP. As it's a weekend, I'm unsure if there will be anybody that's in the office today or tomorrow that can action this but, if not, this should be done by Monday at the latest.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
toggie101
Rising Star

Many thanks @EmilyD for your help with this.

Anything you can do to increase the 'nudge' into a kick up the backside would be be greatly appreciated. Smiley

So, despite being assured that I should lose email for just a few hours, I now may face no Plusnet email for a few days <sigh>.

I assume as email is being rejected I will lose all mail sent within this period?

(I'm tempted to have a rant as I did everything in my power to pre-empt and prevent this from happening - but I'm still without an email service. However, ranting will achieve little, and the Plusnet Help Team here on the forums don't deserve my ire, I appreciate their help.)

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @toggie101, I am very sorry for the inconvenience and fully appreciate how frustrated you may be.

I'm afraid that any mail sent within the period before your mailbox is reinstated will likely be lost Sad

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @toggie101, though the change to mail only has not complete, in attempt to get your mail working asap I have added the mailbox component to your account (this is not the long term fix, hopefully just temporary whilst the correct steps are taken to change the account).

Can you please log in to the member centre and add the mailboxes you had previously? I'd just like to note that once you've done this, they may not work.. but it's worth a try.

Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

@toggie101 Just in addition to my colleagues response, if you’re unsure where to go in your account to recreate your mailboxes try www.plus.net/email making sure you’ve logged into your account before clicking on that link. Hope this helps. Smiley
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
toggie101
Rising Star

Many thanks @LaurenB and @Gandalf for your help with this matter.

I've now instigated my own short term temporary email solution.

While I very much appreciate your actions and advice wrt alleviating my current situation, I think I'll not risk causing any possible complications and leave things as they are and await my account to be officially changed over to email only.

However if you advise that it would be preferable for me to recreate my mailboxes regardless (just one default mailbox) then I'll happily do that.

Once again, thanks for taking the time on a Saturday evening to help me - much appreciated.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem @toggie101 I’d feel free to setup your mailboxes as they were, because they shouldn’t be affected by the reactivation to email only.

Having said that, if you recreate your mailboxes/email addresses and in the slightest chance they are affected, then destroyed again then recreated again, I’m not 100% sure what will happen to the original mail backup of the destroyed email addresses, so it may be worth waiting until tomorrow if you can. 

We’ll make sure it’s chased up for your account to be reactivated tomorrow morning.  

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Hi @toggie101

One of my colleagues has reactivated the account this morning and it's now live as a mail-only account so you shouldn't have any issues going forward.

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
toggie101
Rising Star

Many thanks @MatthewWheeler .

After testing and configuration, email does appear to be working once more - excellent.
(Hopefully I didn't miss any important emails over the last 3 days.)

My appreciation to all the patient Plusnet Help Team members who offered help and advice with this situation.

Weirdly I wish I could pay for this email service because then I'd feel justified in complaining should things go awry in the future.

Obviously I love 'free', but I no longer feel like a customer, or legitimately allowed to have expectations wrt the level of service received. I guess its time to start planning for an alternative provider in the near future as it now feels a bit ephemeral with the possibility of being withdrawn at any time.

Anyway, thanks again.

pv
Grafter

@toggie101 wrote:

Obviously I love 'free', but I no longer feel like a customer, or legitimately allowed to have expectations wrt the level of service received. I guess its time to start planning for an alternative provider in the near future as it now feels a bit ephemeral with the possibility of being withdrawn at any time.

Every time you email someone you are advertising Plusnet with your email address. That's worth something to Plusnet!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Cheers for getting back to us @toggie101 

Even though we're providing your email service free of charge, from a support/customer service perspective you've still got an account with us and we're happy to support you in any way we can regardless of how much you pay or don't pay.

Also I'm aware of no plans to stop providing an email service completely, although as always things can change, however I'm sure we'll provide plenty of notice if we ever do decide to. 

For now I'm just glad that we got this sorted relatively quickly although with more downtime than we'd have liked. Sad

If you need any further assistance in the future, please feel free to yell. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
toggie101
Rising Star

Apologies @Townman for not acknowledging your help earlier.

I missed your contribution originally and unwittingly skipped over it when I reported my loss of email a few days ago.

If you can forgive my tardiness...many thanks for your advice @Townman.

Cheers!
Tony

Susie_1010
Dabbler

toggie101 - can I ask - when you were able to get back into your e-mail account - were your old e-mails still there or had they been deleted? 

I've also requested to keep my e-mail account