cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving contracts and keeping introducer discount

Mardler
Rising Star

Moving contracts and keeping introducer discount

I've been on PlusNet Broadband Your Way Option 2 (Monthly Contract) for years and now wish to upgrade because of the 15Gb day time limit and high additional 1Gb charge.
Extra looks the way to go at 60Gb and £17.99 per month with 3 month discount.
Would someone, preferably PlusNet, please answer these questions:-
1. Will my introducer discount of £1pm still apply i,e, I will pay £16.99pm?
2. What other advantages, if any, does Extra have over my current contract?
3. What disadvantages does Extra have over my current contract apart from no peer to peer?
Thanks.
8 REPLIES 8
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Moving contracts and keeping introducer discount

You can compare traffic shaping etc here: http://usergroup.plus.net/prodcomp1.php
If by introducer discount you mean referrals - you'll still get them.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Mardler
Rising Star

Yup, I did mean referrals.
So, I go from 15Gb at £13.99 (inc referrals) to 60Gb at £16.99 (ditto)?
seems like a no brainer - any drawbacks, folks?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Are you on a Market 2 or 3 exchange? The cost of Extra is £11.49 pm less your referrer discount if you are. If you are on a Market 1 exchange you need to confirm that the 3 month discount price applies on changing account type (if you regard that as important). I thought it applied only for new sign-ups.
David
Mardler
Rising Star

Not sure what you mean by Market Exchange; I went to the upgrade page after logging in as a member so PN website must have my info as it listed my current contract against two others, one being Extra. The £11.49 (not important) is shown as applying for 3 months then £17.99 (£16.99 with referrals).
I'll chase this tomorrow, maybe call PN.
Thx for your help - anything I've missed?
spraxyt
Resting Legend

You can check the Ofcom Market classification for your exchange using the Exchange Checker here. An explanation of the Market classification is given here. However it looks like your exchange is Market 1. That implies BT Wholesale is the only provider of broadband.
If the upgrade page says the price is £11.49 for 3 months that should be correct.
On Extra P2P and binary Usenet speeds are lower than BBYW2 from 6 to 10pm, and VPN is limited to 2Mbps. However if you require the extra usage I'd say changing is a no brainer.
David
Mardler
Rising Star

Thanks, spraxyt.
As I don't have any need for P2P, USENET and VPN I guess an upgrade is inevitable!
Mardler
Rising Star

FWIW, I'm on a Market 1 exchange.
Was hoping to monitor usage until Sept 1 but that is no longer possible as PN have blanked my usage data blaming it on me disconnecting (which I haven't)!
spraxyt
Resting Legend

The Plusnet posts concerning this are perhaps confusing but they aren't blaming no usage showing on your account on you disconnecting. In fact *not* disconnecting *sometimes* causes usage not to show and disconnecting/reconnecting fixes that.
In your case Plusnet acknowledged the system *had* caused a disconnection following your last billing reset (see my post here) which eliminates the usual cause. So a different (Plusnet) problem was a possible cause - see following quote:
Quote from: Bob
You /might/ be affected by a known problem that we're currently looking into (ref: 69949).

Nothing you've done should be behind this - it's a bug in Plusnet's systems.
David