Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving back home after 30 years.

mikeyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Moving back home after 30 years.

Hi, I should have tried to work this out weeks ago...
1st Feb I will be leaving my house and moving in with my dad. Both myself and my dad are plusnet customers and are "out of contract".
I have unlimited Fibre to the pole + line rental, which has been perfect last 5 years with the help of @Gandalf  but I have to move. My dad has low speed broadband and he prefers to pay BT his line rental.
My dad doesn't do email/modile phone etc but I am authorised (by PN) to administer his account.
I have a .plus.com email address which I'm trying hard to migrate away from but I would like to keep it if possible.
I don't want to start a new contract when I move, but I'm open for suggestions.

So, can I take over my dad's broadband (in my .plusnet.com name), possibly upgrade the line to Fibre to the cabinet, and have dad keep his BT phone (all without starting a new contract)

I know this sounds like it's a case of just call them! But I have had better luck on here in the past.

9 REPLIES 9
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Moving back home after 30 years.

@mikeyd 

Plusnet will no longer provide broadband without also supplying the phone service. Presumably you currently have a Plusnet phone line, regardless of whether you have a phone connected. You can transfer you phone and telephone service to your new address, but not just add Plusnet broadband to a BT phone service.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hey Mike,

Long time no see! Unfortunately we no longer offer broadband only unless it’s full fibre, so we wouldn’t be able to provide this on your account at his address and we can’t change the name on your Dad’s account to yours.

In this case, you may need to close your account, which would likely mean you lose your Plusnet email address.

However, if your Dad is okay with us taking over his phone line from BT, then I would say the best way to handle this is to set up a house move on your account. We can then place orders with Openreach to takeover and upgrade the existing services at your Dad’s house, which will close his account once the orders have completed. 

As your account would be staying active, your Plusnet email address shouldn’t be affected. 

Additionally if you pay us a one off fee for the house move, we should be able to keep you out of contract as we’d normally begin a new contract to waive one off fees. 

The fee should be £65 though I’ve been on a different department for ~3 months, so that may have changed. 

To arrange this, I’d give our House Moves team a call on 0800 013 2632 when they’re open 8 to 8 Monday to Friday, 9 to 7 Saturdays and 9 to 6 Sundays. 

I hope this helps, let me know how it goes. 

Just had a thought, keeping the landline number the same might be an issue when taking over the services as we’d already be providing the broadband but on a different Plusnet account that’s not in the same name. Sorry it’s not straightforward. The House Moves team may be in a better position to advise what’s possible. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mikeyd
Rising Star

Thanks Anoush.  Has anyone told you you are fantastic? Really didn't expect an answer this soon.  I'll keep it as is, refer to your suggestion next week and probably pay another month while I work it out.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Haha no problem cheers. I’m not around all too often nowadays but fortunately you caught me while I was here!

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mikeyd
Rising Star

Thanks all.  I've moved now and it looks like my dad is paying too much for plusnet copper BB £19 and then paying  BT for line rental on top of that. 

To be honest it is quick enough even for streaming 4G.  However I'll look at it and suggest he ties himself into another 18 month but including line rental and even a fibre (to the pole miles away) upgrade.

As for my account, I've paid up for the next month in my old house, (I'm stupid, renewal date passed my by) and have tried hard to switch my email away in case I lose it but I'm ok with that.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for the update!

No problem, that sounds like a good plan, if you’re happy to let go of your Plusnet email address.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mikeyd
Rising Star

It should be fine.

I have all (Lots and lots) of my passwords and the email I used stored in a password manager (Glad I started doing that years ago).  I've whittled it down to about 10 that are not easy to change email on.  I should figure it out before the month ends.

mikeyd
Rising Star

Just a final update on this.

Called and cancelled my account.  Lady I spoke to was great, explained my contract didn't run out until mid April and I would be charged £24 early cancellation fee.  Slightly annoying as I thought contract was up but she was correct. But she didn't apply the 14 days notice rule (never knew about it) so I'm not paying for March.

I should probably ask on the bills/accounts section but what happens to my referrals income? It's only 75p a month now but over the years I used to have 3 and it has mounted up, saved me over £90.  I guess it's deleted with my account.

Shout out to @Gandalf , excellent advice as always.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Cheers for the feedback!

The ongoing referral credits would be deleted when your account was cancelled as they can’t be transferred I’m afraid. Thanks for referring people to us though and glad you had saved a bit of money. 

If you’d like to carry on referring, your Dad could provide his account username to more people so he can receive referral credits too in the future. 

If there’s ever anything else you’d need help with, feel free to let us know. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet