cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving away due to unexpected costs

pauledwards1985

Moving away due to unexpected costs

We have only been since March this year but already getting a bit annoyed. We got the new offer paying £13.49 for the first month with an ADSL initial charge of £16.48. Our bills then went up to £23.48 which we were expecting then we have a bill this morning charging us £29.98....we have not gone over our usage or any call charges. We have never been notified of any changes in price either and seems to me we are just expected to accept this?
Any changes to prices/terms and conditions need to be notified to the user in writing up to 60 days before it happens which hasn't.
Just got the same deal with Sky for unlimited usage and TV. Now reading here we have to pay to 'get out' but considering our bills have just gone up without being informed i am annoyed at this as we wouldnt be leaving otherwise.
Angry
13 REPLIES 13
csogilvie
Grafter

Re: Moving away due to unexpected costs

Have you logged in to the Member Centre to look at your invoice to see what the charges breakdown is? You should be able to see that on the Account Details -> View Transactions page....
pauledwards1985

yea thats first thing I did. There are no extra charges from going over usage or anything as have had a bill of over £40 which did incur charges that had a breakdown but this bill says thats the standard because as a gesture of goodwill it was cheaper from March to June meaning our bills would have gone up in July which they didnt theyve went up for August so saying we'll have to pay £90 to get out of the contract. Im not complaining about an extra month for cheaper but find it hard to believe this isn't an excuse. Saying its gone up to £17.99 coz of where we live.
Also paying £90 to get 'out of contract' even though the website clearly states no annual contract???? Last time I looked that was classed as false advertising!
matt_2k34
Grafter

Saying its gone up to £17.99 coz of where we live.

No, this is correct. Dependant on your exchange "market classification" - Market 1/2 means there is very little competition, BT Wholesale charges ISPs *more* to use the service in these areas. Market 3 BT were 'allowed' to drop their prices here, to help ISPs be competative in places where there is much more market competition (for example talktalk,sky,be*/o2) etc.
Last time I looked that was classed as false advertising!

When you sign up, or read any of the product pages it clearly states in the terms of each product what the prices are dependant on area, and tells you how you can check the market classification of your exchange.
Also paying £90 to get 'out of contract' even though the website clearly states no annual contract

Depending on the product depends on contract length, also if you take one of the routers you will be charged for this when you leave also.
Showing a breakdown of the charges to those of us who cannot see them may help us pinpoint why it is much different, id expect the broadband price to be most of / all of that £17.99 difference.
By signing up to SKY before discussing the problem you have pretty much got little option unfortunately.
Regards
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
The price has gone up because you're in a market 1 area, the pricing is explained on the website prior to and during signup? If you're connected to a market 1 exchange you get the cheaper price for the first three months and then it goes up to £17.49.
With regard to the cancellation fees, this includes £25 for the connection and £40 for the router (both of which drop off the account after it's been open for 12 months) and £25 for the actual cease of the line. The two £25 charges are issued to us by our supplier so can't be waived unfortunately, though if you migrate out rather than having the line ceased you won't need to pay the cessation fee.
Hope that helps explain, and sorry the price increase came as a nasty surprise.
pauledwards1985

so do I have to pay this before I can get my MAC code. It is a nasty surprise yes because if it says no annual contract then I would expect not to pay £90 to get out of an unsigned contract. I understand paying for the router but not the rest. Think this whole no annual contract should be taken off as I'm not the first person to be confused by this surely?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
As with the increase in monthly fees on market 1 and 2 accounts, the fees for hardware and activation/cancellation are explained as part of the signup process. There is no 12 month contract for the broadband, hence why we haven't requested any more monthly fees - the £90 is made up of the costs that you chose to defer when you signed up to the service.
pauledwards1985

Yes ok I understand that but do I have to pay the full £90 before you will provide me with a MAC code?
pauledwards1985

Dear Mr Edwards,
Account username: pauledwards1985
We've received notice of an order to transfer your phone line and call plan to another company. We're treating this as a request to end your telephone service agreement with us.
We're sorry we're losing you as a customer.
This move will affect:
What happens now?
-----------------
You don't need to do anything. Your service will move on 22/08/2011, unless you've asked for a later date or to cancel the order. You shouldn't have any interruption to your service.
If you haven't agreed to move to another phone company, or if you've changed your mind and would prefer to stay with us, call us any time before 4pm on the working day before the transfer happens and we'll be happy to help.
Customer Support: 0800 432 0200
We're available, 24 hours a day, every day
Any other services you have with us, such as broadband, will be unaffected by this change and will continue to be billed as usual.
Customer service after the move
-------------------------------
After you move your phone service, your new phone company will deal with any service or account issues such as moving home, renumbering or faults. So remember to get in touch with them and not us if you have any problems.
Other information
-----------------
If you need to ask us about anything in this email, please get in touch on the number above.
Under industry-agreed procedures, you should also be getting a letter from your new phone company explaining how to get in touch with them and including details about the services they're going to provide.
We're really sorry to lose you. But good luck with your new arrangements and we hope you'll consider coming back to us for your phone service in the future.
Kind regards,
Plusnet Customer Support
http://www.plus.net/
Email ref: E0745
--
Plusnet plc
Registered Office: Internet House, 2 Tenter Street, Sheffield, S1 4BY
Registered in England no: 3279013
pauledwards1985

Just received this in my email @ 16.59. Im guessing this is SKY that has been in touch or do I still need to sort it?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Basically as you didn't use a MAC but signed up with Sky as a full LLU  they contacted BT Openreach who advised Plusnet of the phone service move as part of the transfer to Sky.
The latest email refers to the phone service and the earlier one will have referred to the broadband
pauledwards1985

Yea thought right with phone lien but Sky say it'll be easier and smoother if I provide them with a MAC code or is this just optional
matt_2k34
Grafter

if you've already signed up its too late and they'll already have begin taking over the line id of thought.
This will mean you require to pay the full £90 id of thought also.
may perhaps be worth while reading your agreements in future before you click through signing up to things, this is an example of a very easy way to end up paying through the nose for a simple migration.
Regards
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi,
Yes, the full £90 will need paying I'm afraid. If you'd passed the MAC over to Sky I believe the broadband would have been migrated, thus meaning that you didn't need to pay the £25 cessation fee but unfortunately that's not happening. We'll have sent the email because we received notification that Sky have placed an order to take the line over.