cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Providers and Cease Dates

jsm51
Grafter

Moving Providers and Cease Dates

I am confused about the move process and contract cancellation. I moved BB from BT to Plusnet on 18 Dec with phone following on 4 Jan. Today I got emails from BT saying that phone will cease on 14 Jan and that they still had the BB service.The Plusnet CS rep implied it was my fault for not cancelling the contracts with BT although the Plusnet site (http://www.plus.net/home-broadband/switch/) suggests that Plusnet handle the contact with the losing provider.
Doesn't the MAC process include a termination of contract? The BT CS rep blamed Plusnet for not providing the information from their order system, despite me having a letter from BT confirming that the phone service will move on 4 Jan.
Not very satisfactory, and as it stands I will end up paying for service twice. If I have missed out on informing BT then it might be be my fault although I think Plusnet ought to make their switching advice clearer. However I feel that this is likely to be a problem with incorrectly updated records that I have to sort out at severe damage to my sense of humour.
8 REPLIES 8
James
Grafter

Re: Moving Providers and Cease Dates

Hi,
BT should have received notification from Wholesale/Openreach.  We don't specifically tell the losing supplier that we are taking over their services - there are Wholesale systems that do this.
If you need specific order confirmations we are happy to give this to you.
jsm51
Grafter

Thanks, James,
I was pretty sure that BT would have received notification but it was odd that the Plusnet rep suggested I should have contacted them. I'm battling through the BT contact systems to try to register the problem with someone who cares.
James
Grafter

Quite often I'll suggest that you contact the old supplier as a matter of course, as a just in case sort of thing.
Best bet is to raise an online complaint through their website.
https://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/5642,5643 looks like it should do the job.
jsm51
Grafter

Thanks, James,
I tried an online chat which ended in in an attempted transfer to the BT Options team which ended with the call not being picked up. I used the link you provided to send an email to ask them to sort it.
jsm51
Grafter

James,
I spoke to the BT Options team who agreed that the previous CS adviser had got it wrong and they were happy to go with 18 Dec transfer for broadband and 4 Jan for phone. Fine. But now I have got the following email. BT are blaming Plusnet for not following the procedure for broadband transfer and have gone back to 14 Jan for phone.
Can you let me have details of the orders that went to Wholesale for these services?
Thanks
Response (Melissa) 16/01/2013 10:16 AM
Hello Mr Quinn,
Thanks for getting in touch.
I am really sorry that you have had to contact us again regarding the transfer of your services to your new provider.
I have checked the account and investigated this for you today.
On the 28th November 2012 a MAC code LYEA3028644/KL28K was issued.
There was one loss of service request received from your new service provider. This was for the landline services and the reference number for this was:
VOL012-71231349265
This was to advise that the line would transfer over to the new provider on the 14th January 2013.
However there was no request that came through to advise of the transfer of the Broadband service and as a result this service is still active on your account.
I have investigated this issue for you today and can see that there was an order placed on the 14th January 2013 to transfer the line services to your new provider.
The reference number on this order was VOL012-71992884585.
When a customer has a bundle package for Broadband and calls and is changing provider the first thing that needs to happen is for the Broadband and calls package to be unbundled.
This will allow for the line and calls services to successfully transfer to the new provider and this happened as scheduled on the 14th January 2013.
I am really sorry that the Broadband was not cancelled when it transferred over. I can see evidence that the service has in fact transferred however the correct process was not followed by the new provider and I will certainly feed this back on our behalf.
What I have now done is raised a cancellation order to remove the Broadband and back date to the 18th December when the service did transfer.
The reference number for this order is:
VOL012-72093178444
A final bill will now be produced and the line transfer date will be the 14th January and the Broadband the 18th December.
James
Grafter

Hi Mr. Quinn,
I know Matt is looking into this for you, but just to let you know that I'm going to flag this with BT.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi jsm51,
I'll be dropping you a PM shortly with a screenshot of the completed broadband order, with the MAC key - as it appears in your email - clearly showing, so the MAC was indeed used on the broadband order. Unfortunately in this case it looks like BT didn't pick up the notification, hope the screenshot helps you. Please let us know if there's anything else you need or if we can help at all in any other way Smiley
jsm51
Grafter

It looks as though BT have accepted that they got this one wrong and have agreed the dates they were given in the first place. Thanks to James and Matt for your help. I appreciate it.