cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Provider FTTC to FTTP

MillerJones
Dabbler

Moving Provider FTTC to FTTP

I am asking these questions on be halve of family members they are senior not very good with technology etc.

Plusnet do not offer FTTP in the area so no option to upgrade etc only one is to move.

The date on the account is strange it's 25 December this is when login maybe it's an error it wasn't renewed then and will it be 25 November when they can leave correct without any penalties or does the new install need to be after 25 December?

Don't want them hit by any penalties the price increases was already not great on them and being mislead when signing up told it would be 18 months but ended up 24month plus not informed line rental saver would be stopped.

Not going to get in to how loyalty doesn't appear to matter to Plusnet when it comes to prices.

Because they are moving to FTTP from FTTC they really want to keep phone number which they have had for 40+ years they don't need to do anything correct just sign up with the other provider who will handle it all no need to communicate with Plusnet?

Thank you for any advise

11 REPLIES 11
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

Re: Moving Provider FTTC to FTTP

@MillerJones 

If I read correctly your family members are PlusNet customers who are moving house where FTTP is available.

If you transfer the account then you lose the phone number. PlusNet do not offer a voice service with FTTP. However, one way past this is, if PlusNet e-mail doesn't matter, is to Port the number to a VOIP provider at the end of the contract. This ceases the FTTC service.

Then sign up as a new customer at the new address and order FTTP.

Brian

MillerJones
Dabbler

No they are not moving house.

The area only has CityFibre for FTTP available with no plans of Openreach offering it.

Plusnet do not have FTTP available in the area the other provider does it's Vodafone who has the exclusive deal.

I apologize I didn't explain it very well in original post.

The family members currently have Plusnet for FTTC and phone line which is over Openreach network.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

You might want to look at the Vodafone forum , here's an example

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Broadband-activation/VODAFONE-amp-CITYFIBRE-A-MATCH-MADE-IN-HELL-REA...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bmc
Hero

@MillerJones 

Apart from CityFibre themselves several IPs's use the CF backbone - Zen Internet and TalkTalk are just two of them. Although a bit pricey Zen have a good reputation and crucially provide a voice service so your relatives can port their phone to them. It would be VOIP.

You can check availability here https://cityfibre.com/ and then look at which ISP's might be suitable.

You are correct in saying that the "gaining" ISP will do all the work on moving the phone number. Specifically you should not tell PlusNet your'e leaving.

Brian

MillerJones
Dabbler

@MisterW For a few bad another hundred/thousands which had no issues this is the case with all providers so I am not sure why you are posting that it is not answering any of the questions.

It's not my choice it's family members they want quicker speeds and cheaper price Plusnet can't offer either otherwise they would stay.

@bmcNo other providers are available I already said this Vodafone have exclusive deal on Cityfibre network which looks to be for 2 years in the area they are the only provider for FTTP. (I confirmed this with them)

The only other option would be Virgin but the prices are a lot more for the same speeds.

Thank you for the answer about phone line this is very important to them

bmc
Hero

@MillerJones 

Sorry, missed the bit about Vodaphone.

Do CityFibre not offer an FTTP service? If Vodaphone have a 2 year strangle hold when does this end?

Brian

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

For a few bad another hundred/thousands which had no issues this is the case with all providers so I am not sure why you are posting that it is not answering any of the questions.

lothers have answered your questions. I thought it useful to make you aware of the possible problems. I'm afraid that my personal experience of Vodafone is not good. When things go right, they're fine but if things go wrong it can be a nightmare

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MillerJones
Dabbler

@bmc Yes CityFibre do they are the network offering FTTP the only ISP due to the exclusive deal is Vodafone.

The network was installed last year and became active this year 1-2 months ago meaning 22 months until other providers are allowed if they choose to.

@MisterW I know of some having issues and I had friends who had nightmare with Plusnet which ended up costing them time/money and was not solved it happens.

As said before no other ISP excluding Virgin can offer the speeds.

I did say to them stay on FTTC until other ISP are allowed on FTTP but looking at the pricing of the other providers plus max speed the line supports is not great 48Mbps it ends up costing more.(Voda offered 500Mbps, unlimited calls £27 per month Plusnet or others can't beat that with some not even trying to)

The main questions I need answering was about the billing side the other part appears simple if no issues happen the other provide does all the work no need to do anything.

28 days before 25 Dec sign up to new ISP but have it activated after 25 Dec means no penalty is it a case of sign up for new ISP before 28 days but activate after that time this is what is confusing because people pay month in advance right?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

28 days before 25 Dec sign up to new ISP but have it activated after 25 Dec means no penalty is it a case of sign up for new ISP before 28 days but activate after that time this is what is confusing because people pay month in advance right?

@MillerJones correct, you pay monthly (calender) in advance, so in your example, on 26 Nov you will get billed up to 25 Dec. In theory your idea of requesting activation after 25 Dec would ensure no ETC's. However, unless the transfer actually happens before 26 Dec you would get billed on 26 Dec for a month ( at out of contract prices ) which would then get refunded once the account is closed.

Also , in my experience , requesting a specific transfer date seems very hit & miss, most suppliers just ignore and set the earliest transfer date!. So TBH I'd place an order after 26 Nov and just let it happen. Ok, depending on when transfer actually happens, you would get charged a part month ETC's but since you've actually paid a whole month in advance it would be a refund. Ultimately that will probably cost less than requesting a later transfer, then it being delayed, and ending up paying for some period at out of contract prices!. At least if you go for an earlier date there's a chance it may actually happen before your contract ends!

MillerJones
Dabbler

Thank you for the break down @MisterW that explains it nice a simple.

MillerJones
Dabbler

Thanks for both the people who commented in here it has really helped and answered all questions.