Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving House Coinciding with end of BB and phone Contract

FIXED
DerwentMailman
Dabbler

Moving House Coinciding with end of BB and phone Contract

It looks like I shall be moving from my current house 1 day after my contract ends with Plusnet (1st September 2021).  I believe PN would need to know at least 14 days before house move if I were to transfer the service over to the new house.  However the bungalow is in a Virgin Media area and I am of a mind to go with VM cable esp as the speed available to me via Openreach at the new address looks to be 50% of what I get at my present house via PlusNet.

If I do move and do not transfer Plusnet over to my new address, at what date prior to 1st September will Plusnet need to be informed that I wish to stop the service at this date.  Would I have to put in a 'cease of line' request from this date as well?  Or is this something that is done anyway?  I have no idea what the buyer intends doing for his BB/phone provision but could find out I suppose.  If I keep the BB/phone going for an extra day or two (until completion day itself)  presumably I will only be billed for the extra day(s) (albeit at the higher contract rate).     

4 REPLIES 4
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Re: Moving House Coinciding with end of BB and phone Contract

Hi @DerwentMailman, thanks for getting in touch. For a smooth transition over to your new provider and to make sure you have service up until your move date I'd recommend giving us a call 2 weeks prior to your move date (1st of Sep). This way we can arrange the cessation of the service for 14 days time. You'd be charged for the following months invoice and as you've mentioned if this is out of contract then it would be slightly higher than you've previously had but within 20 days of the service being stopped a final invoice will have generated including the majority of that months charges returned as a refund.

If the new tenants are looking to set up service at your property then them placing an order would cease your service automatically and if we've receive notification of the take over then you should receive a "We're sorry to hear you're leaving" notification advising of the take over date for you. Alternatively, if the new tenants try to place an order and a cease is in place then they may contact you to cancel this so a working line take over can be done getting them online for when your service comes to an end.

When you're ready to cancel the service then I'd advise giving our cancellations team a call. They are contactable directly on 0800 013 2632 and they are open between the following hours:

Monday - Friday: 08:00 - 20:00
Saturday: 09:00 - 19:00
Sunday: 09:00 - 18:00

I hope this helps and if there's anything further we can assist you with please do get back in touch.

DerwentMailman
Dabbler

Thanks for your answer.

Probably the simplest thing for me to do is call your cancellations team, 14 days prior to my moving out informing them of the cancellation which will cease all services on the line at moving day.  If it occurs to the new tenant to have a working line available to him when he moves in then I presume he will need to apply to take over the phoneline and broadband.  Q)  Up to how many days beforehand for our buyer if he wanted to take over an active phoneline and fibre broadband (with Plusnet as his provider)?  I assume I could stop the line cease request  at any point prior to me moving out.

BTW if I cancel services for 3rd September, will services stop at 00:01 on the 3rd or at the end of the day i.e. 23.59 ?  

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Fix

Thanks for getting back to me @DerwentMailman,
If you give our cancellations team a call prior to the 14 days notice then they should be able to get this in place for you. If at any time during the cancellation process the new tenant places an order with a pending cease they should receive confirmation of this from the supplier. If they do contact you asking you to stop the cease so they can place a quicker working line take over order with their provider then this can be done at any point up the the cease date.
This could result in further charges coming your way however as if the account is left open to only be closed with a take over order then this could go past your leave date of the property. Usually however, if we receive confirmation of a take over order then we advise via email when the take over will take place and when your account will then be closed by.
If the cease is left in place then this should complete at any point on the requested date however usually we see the service be ceased in the early hours of the day.
I hope this helps.

DerwentMailman
Dabbler

Much obliged for your answer covering all the bases. Smiley