Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Home - Lower expected speeds

FIXED
jackrdavies1
Hooked

Moving Home - Lower expected speeds

Hi,

I am currently on an Unlimited Fibre contract with a minimum guaranteed speed of 22.7mbps for £22.99pcm. I will be moving home in the next 4 weeks and I called Plusnet to sort the move. I was given two options, keep my current contract (at a cost of a scandalous £114) or renew a 2 year contract at £25pcm.

I am keen to keep my current contract as I don't want to start a new 2 year deal, I am certain I can get a better deal elsewhere when this contract is up. However, when the agent checked the speeds I would get at the new address, the maximum speed I could expect was quoted as 16mbps. This is below my minimum guaranteed speed as per my contract.

I am just curious as to where I stand on this. If I move and don't get the minimum guaranteed speed quoted on my contract, will I be entitled to terminate my contract without incurring a penalty? Or does this speed only apply to my current property?

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Re: Moving Home - Lower expected speeds

@jackrdavies1 wrote:

However, when the agent checked the speeds I would get at the new address, the maximum speed I could expect was quoted as 16mbps. This is below my minimum guaranteed speed as per my contract.

@jackrdavies1 

You've stated you're presently on VDSL (FTTC).

I'm not trying to unduly complicate things, but ISTM that speed*** is coincidentally what I think is quoted as the 'up to' speed for ADSL.  It's possible that VDSL is not available at the new address because;

a)  there are no available ports due to the local VDSL cabinet status being 'waiting list';

or

b)  it is in an FTTP enabled area, and PN don't (presently) supply FTTP.

So in either of the above cases I believe their checker would only offer ADSL.

***Edit:  the speed I'm referring to is 16 Mbps.

jackrdavies1
Hooked

@RobPN 

Thanks for you reply. I wasn't aware that Plusnet did not currently offer FTTP. Having used various comparison websites and checking with other providers, I have been quoted up to gigabit speeds. I also just tried the BT broadband availability checker and got the following result:

image.png

So, unless I'm misunderstanding this graphic, you're correct in your second assumption that it is FTTP enabled, but it would also seem that VDSL is available?

I think my best option at this point would be to simply terminate my contract with Plusnet when I move and start a new contract with someone that can provide FTTP. My current contract runs out towards the end of November, so am I right in thinking the termination fee should be lower than the £114 moving home fee?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@jackrdavies1 

You guaranteed speed is determined by your distance from the cabinet for fibre or telephone exchange for ADSL. If you move your speed will again be determined simply by this distance. I can’t imagine that Plusnet would ever give you the option of cancelling the contract under these circumstances, especially when they and you know that this is not practicable.

Edit,

Cancellation charges should be less than paying for the remaining months on your contract. Remember that you pay a month in advance so it sounds like a no brainier, move into the 21st century, cancel and go for FTTP.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

However, if you were to go to BT or EE for your FTTP in your new place, PN may waive the cancellation fee.

You would need to speak to the right CS person, or one of the helpful staff members who pop up on here now and then, and get them to arrange before you move.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Fix

@jackrdavies1 

No, you're not misunderstanding the graphic, you have both VDSL and FTTP available.  That used to be rare but VDSL areas are increasingly being FTTP enabled.

As stated, PN don't yet provide FTTP (other than to those of us who are already on the closed FTTP trial) but they have intimated that they will do so, probably around autumn this year, although no definite date has been given.

If you're not in a 'stop sell' copper services area I guess one option would be to take the lower speed VDSL service from PN and then upgrade to FTTP when they start selling it, although that might be a bit of a gamble on how long you would have to wait.

Another option would be as you say, start looking at other ISPs.

Apparently if you move to BT or EE for FTTP, PN will waive your contract obligations, see for example THIS POST;

Edit:  @Mustrum beat me to it on my last point, but see the linked post for confirmation.

jackrdavies1
Hooked

@Baldrick1 

@Mustrum 

@RobPN 

Many thanks for your replies, very helpful. I will take a look at BT / EE packages and give Plusnet a call back. If any Plusnet agent sees this and is available to help me, that would be great.

Edit:
I've given @RobPN the fix purely because he was the first to reply. But thanks again to the others

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for your post @jackrdavies1 and welcome to our Community Forums.

Just to echo/confirm what others have said, we'll happily waive termination fees if you move to BT or EE for FTTP at your new property. We'd just ask that you call our Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632 to arrange this. I've left a note on your account to this effect, although the process is documented internally.

The following is probably academic as I agree that going for FTTP seems to be a no-brainer, but... if you however remain with us on FTTC (VDSL) at your new property, carrying across your existing contract, you'll get a new minimum guaranteed speed as the speeds at your new address are lower than what you can get now.

You'll also still have the opportunity to leave without paying termination fees if we can't bring your download speed above the minimum guaranteed after a 30 day investigation. We wouldn't be able to refund the one-off £114.99 though. 

I hope this helps. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jackrdavies1
Hooked

@Gandalf 

Many thanks for this! I have a couple of quick questions if you don't mind. Firstly, should I contact you first before contacting BT/EE? Or would it be necessary to already have a FTTP deal set up with either of those?

Secondly, I'm considering the Full Fibre 2 package by BT and the Fibre Plus package from EE. I understand these aren't Plusnet so you might not know specifics, but is there a minimum (for lack of better word) package that I would need to opt for to get the termination fee waiver? Or is it simply any FTTP package?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

@jackrdavies1 wrote:

Many thanks for this! I have a couple of quick questions if you don't mind. Firstly, should I contact you first before contacting BT/EE? Or would it be necessary to already have a FTTP deal set up with either of those?

No problem, I'd recommend calling us (0800 013 2632) first as we may likely need to transfer the call to BT or EE's sales team for us to be able to waive the termination fees. Alternatively the adviser may be able to arrange the cancellation without penalty themselves and let you signup to BT or EE yourself without being transferred. 

Secondly, I'm considering the Full Fibre 2 package by BT and the Fibre Plus package from EE. I understand these aren't Plusnet so you might not know specifics, but is there a minimum (for lack of better word) package that I would need to opt for to get the termination fee waiver? Or is it simply any FTTP package?

Any FTTP package will do. Smiley

Let me know if there are any issues.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet