cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monthly Payment

elakenn628
Dabbler

Monthly Payment

When I switched on this morning I had a notice appear saying my monthly payment had not been received.
On looking at my bank account it was taken out yesterday the 23rd and all my previous payments were made on the same day.
Why should I start getting these 'no payment recieved'notices now.
20 REPLIES 20
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Monthly Payment

I'd ring up and ask what the problem is and post back what you find out (without any personal information of course) !
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Before you ring up, try logging in to the router and disconnect/reconnect from the Internet. That should sort it out for you.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
elakenn628
Dabbler

Being a OAP I cannot remember how to log on to the router.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

As an other OAP - take the easy way - unplug it from the phone line then plug it in again
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Failing what Oldjim has mentioned, we have a step by step guide with images here: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/thomson-585-faqs-and-troubleshooting.shtml
Let us know if you get stuck.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Anotherone
Champion

Could be a bit tricky looking at that if all you've got is the monthly payment not received notice  Wink
Dah, do it the real easy way, never mind fiddling with those small BT plugs, just turn the modem/router off at the mains, wait a couple of minutes and then turn it on again  Smiley
Anonymous
Not applicable

Like my SKY+HD, and other PVRs' that's my preferred option too for a re-boot !
The item then gets a whole re-start, and system check on power up.
ChrisL
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Surely there's an important difference between "disconnecting and reconnecting with the internet" and forcing a loss of sync?
Huh
Chris
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Disconnecting and reconnecting means that sync isn't lost, whereas if you power the router down without disconnecting the exchange sees this as a forced loss of sync - essentially the same as a disconnect. This isn't really a problem in itself unless it happens too often and the DLM system lowers the line profile as a result.
That's why we usually ask for people to disconnect and reconnect via the router's interface (log into that at http://192.168.1.254 by default with a username of admin and the password being the serial number starting CP on the base of the router) or to disconnect there before powering off and resyncing, as that stops the disconnection being seen as a possible fault.
I believe the DLM will only change the profile if it sees a number of disconnections (I think the figure is 10 in an hour, but wouldn't like to test that in all honesty) but better safe than sorry.
Hope that helps explain.
Anotherone
Champion

Thanks Matt, your explanations are always so good. As we already knew what you've mentioned perhaps we shouldn't have been so flippant with our "pull the plug" remarks  Embarrassed   Everything you mentioned we've either known or believed to true/correct. But
Quote from: Matt
...................................... or to disconnect there before powering off and resyncing, as that stops the disconnection being seen as a possible fault.
We've always thought this was the case  Smiley  Are you able to confirm this is fact, ie.stated by BT ? Or is just what seems to be the case,  based on all the users experiences? Thanks for your help, it's always appreciated.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've never been told it officially, it's just what seems to be the case based on user's experiences.
I mean, we know that most routers send a stop packet when disconnecting, and if this is received by the exchange equipment then it knows that the connection has been terminated by request and therefore isn't a faulty forced disconnect... from there it was just reasoning/guesswork really.
Anotherone
Champion

Yes, that's what we all believe to be the case, many thanks.
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Well I must admit I didn't know that, and I pulled the plug on the router the other day cos the wireless wasn't working.
I wrecked a computer a few years ago because I kept powering it up and down during the BIOS screen as it had a fan problem.
I should know better.
Must remember to disconnect properly next time Grin
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

When I have a power cut it often includes a few stops and starts over a few minutes before it stabilises and it doesn't seem to have caused any problems