Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mistaken Extra Usage Email/charge

Smelly
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Mistaken Extra Usage Email/charge

Hello, I'm on Essentials 10gb a month between 8am and midnight, starting the 4th of each month.

I reached this limit on Sep 7 as detailed in email to me, where it was correctly stated

"Your extra usage price limit is currently set to £-1. "

Despite this, today I received 2 mistaken warning emails about approaching my usage allowance, then just now another claiming I had exceeded usage and that £5 more has been added. The 'manage my usage' tab in member centre has now also been adjusted to a value of max spend £1 as opposed to the -1 which was there. 

Not sure if anyone else has the same problem, but it'd be great if someone could help me get this sorted and get that money credited back.

23 REPLIES 23
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Mistaken Extra Usage Email/charge

Welcome to the forum.

I can’t comment on your payments as you need a Plusnet staffer to sort that out. However as you’re obviously on an obsolete product I assume that you’re paying top wack for the privilege. 

If you are happy with your service why not ring Plusnet and speak to their retentions team. You will probably find that in exchange for a new contract you can transfer to an unlimited contract for no more money than your current base price with no more concerns about usage.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Hello @Smelly,

I am sorry for any confusion that has been caused via the member centre. It has always been that on that package, if the data usage is exceeded a charge of £5.00 would be incurred for every 10GB.

The best thing would be to contact our Customer Options team on 0800 013 2632, who would be able to look at a better deal for you on one of our unlimited packages.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
Smelly
Dabbler

Hello @SammyM, what you write is not correct - I have always had 'Limit my usage' set with a maximum extra monthly spend of 0 (represented on the page as £-1), and the point is that I reached the limit on 7 September whereupon no extra allowance was given as none was set in the aforementioned page - the month hasn't elapsed and this new addition is in error. Smiley

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Sorry to hear this.

I've credited your account to cover the charge that'll be added onto your next bill.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Smelly
Dabbler

Hi @MatthewWheeler, thankyou for that. I just received another email at 4:39pm repeating the 'you've exceeded...we've added' - I believe this may be because usage since the time of the first email seems to have just passed 5gb, so the system thinks it needs to add something on again. Is there an address I can send print screens or forward these emails to? If there's any other information I can supply to help rectify this I'd be glad to.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I'm investigating this for you so you don't need to do anything further at this moment in time.

Whilst the issue is ongoing we'll cover any usage charges that get added

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Smelly
Dabbler

@MatthewWheeler Acknowledged, thanks. My month starts over on the 4th and until I hear otherwise I will lower my overall net usage to stay within the 10gb per month daytime limits in case there has been some change in how extra allocation works Smiley

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I've managed to amend this for you now.

We'll have to wait for the bill to go through before we can refund you your usage charge

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Smelly
Dabbler

@MatthewWheeler Thanks for that, must be hard to keep on top of little things like that across a wide customer base Smiley Do I need to re-set my extra monthly spend to £0 to make sure it won't trigger a legitimate charge if I reach my monthly limit? It currently says "£Not set"

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

From what I can see it's set correctly as you've now hit it .

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Smelly
Dabbler

Hello, just to confirm that I can now see the bill for 4/10 and it shows one credit of -£5 but extra usages have been set at £10 so there's still a discrepancy, I presume the credit for that will show up on the next bill. Can attach a screenshot of this if you require.

OllieC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Hi @Smelly,

I have updated you via ticket here

As previously advised you can be on a better deal that provides you unlimited broadband usage which would stop any further issues from arising.

Please contact us to discuss this as it would also save you some money.

0800 013 2632

8am - 8pm Monday to Friday  
9am - 7pm Saturday  
9am - 6pm Sunday 

Thank you.

Smelly
Dabbler

It's just happened again - no idea why, my extra usage had been set not to activate, and it did not activate when I went past the limit on 6 October. Is this affecting multiple people? 

JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Probably - from what I've been reading on the forum Plusnet is having major problems with its new billing system, and 'Legacy' products seem to be the worst affected.

Only advice I can offer is to upgrade to a current and therefore better supported tariff -  other than having to agree to a new contract there is no downside, and it could even be cheaper than what you're currently paying (and you would have no future worries about usage allowances.)