cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mismatch between Line Rental & Broadband contracts ~ how can I synchronise them?

carolinesplus

Mismatch between Line Rental & Broadband contracts ~ how can I synchronise them?

I've been with PlusNet for several years, but every year, my broadband contract expires 2 months before my 12-month Advanced Line Rental payment is due. I have tried to call but it takes so long to speak to a human being. When I did finally get through, I was told that they were taken out at different times so can't be aligned. If I want to leave, there's a charge of £30 even if I'm out of contract! What a rip-off. The Line Rental has gone up more than £10 since last year. I am a very light user, never make phone calls or stream movies etc. In fact the account is for a house I rarely live in! But there seems to be no escape without a heavy penalty. Is anyone else fed up with this? 

7 REPLIES 7
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Mismatch between Line Rental & Broadband contracts ~ how can I synchronise them?

You don't have to start a new contract as soon as the old contract ends, so the obvious way to synchronise the broadband and line rental would be to wait 2 months after the broadband contract ends before starting new contracts.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Mismatch between Line Rental & Broadband contracts ~ how can I synchronise them?

Just to clarify what ejs has just posted. When your 12 month contract ends you simply revert to a monthly contract for which you will pay the full published price. It does not end in the sense that you lose your broadband.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): This thread is now in the appropriate board.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

I'm currently in the same position. My ALR is due for renewal on July 4th, but my bband deal ended a short while ago, so having to pay £9.99pm now (after 3 years "free") - as the savings for ALR get proportionally less each year, I intend to look for a new deal in June, maybe dropping ALR and going for a combi deal so my "contract" minimum terms are aligned.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Welcome to the community forums @carolinesplus

From looking at your account, I believe this should now be resolved?

Please let us know if you need any further help.

EDIT: Apologies I missed the dates of what's on your account and your post here.

As mentioned above, if you're wanting to sync line rental saver up to your contract, it might be worth waiting until your line rental saver expires before renewing your contract.

With regards to the £30 charge you've been advised of, it sounds like this is the cessation fee.

More info can be found here: https://www.plus.net/help/my-account/charges-for-removing-broadband/

Hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

"If I want to leave, there's a charge of £30 even if I'm out of contract! "

If you wanted to leave that may be done at the next inevitable price increase.

My understanding is that any unused LRS is refundable under those circumstances in spite of what the ts and cs state re non refundable.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

For clarity the £30 cease fee only applies if the BTw internet service is removed from your line. This applies when ceasing broadband altogether or moving to a non-BTw provided Service, such as those offered by Sky & TT.

If you MIGRATE to a different BTw provided isp then the charge does not apply.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.