cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mis-sold contract, dumped to DCA when complaint filed.......

Achilles1

Mis-sold contract, dumped to DCA when complaint filed.......

‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ 
Sun 03/01/2021 09:28

Plusnet customer for four years. Paid regularly even when out of contract. Phoned them ref changing supplier and I was mis-sold a new contract. I simply needed to keep my phone line running. Charged for a full year £250+ contract which I disputed. Tried repeatedly to speak to management. Fobbed off. Lodged a formal complaint and my account was immediately handed over to DCA before the settlement deadline. Plusnet now deny all liability. Customer service or sharp operators?

9 REPLIES 9
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: Mis-sold contract, dumped to DCA when complaint filed.......

@Achilles1 Not that clear what you're on about, but Plusnet do not offer phone-line only contracts these days - like most telcos/ISPs you have to take both. AFAIK, only BT, and possibly KCOM in Hull do line only.

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@Achilles1 

As @jab1 says Plusnet do not do phone only contracts. Presumably the new contract details were emailed to you with 14 days to cancel?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Achilles1

Thank you for your comments

I am aware that Plusnet do not do phone line only.

I wanted to keep services the same while I changed provider; this requires a phone line to ensure broadband.

Achilles1

(cont)

I was then sold a contract that I did not need for the changeover period and charged over £250 for the privilege.  I was mis-sold this contract.  That is the basis of my complaint which Plusnet have failed to address.

Baldrick1

@Achilles1 

If changing ISP you should not need to contact the losing ISP as the gaining one should handle the change over. Phone and broadband go together so you can't retain one whilst the other changes over so I don't really understamd what you required.

Either way, can you explain why you were miss-sold a new contract. Did you not receive an email confirming that you had agreed a new contact along with the new price, with 14 days to cancel?

Moderator and Customer

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hello @Achillies1,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here. 

I've just tired to contact you but there was no answer so I have left a voicemail. I've also escalated the open complaint ticket to my personal work pool and have provided a more detailed update for you there. 

Thanks. 

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to My Account/ Billing 

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Achilles1

I wasn’t told that I could have just continued with my ‘out of contract’ service to maintain continuity. I was mis-sold a new contract instead. When I realised that I had been given misleading advice, I cancelled the new contract but this was one day over the deadline.  I was advised by email that I would incur no penalty charge. However, once the changeover to Virgin Media had taken place, I was told that I would have to pay £250+ and, when I disputed this (a) on the grounds of your mis-selling and (b) on your assurances that I would not be penalised, I was repeatedly stonewalled. Your records will show numerous attempts by me to speak to a senior manager. These requests were ignored. In exasperation and to avoid the escalating effects on my mental health, I finally gave in to your extortion and attempted to pay off the sum you were asking for on the deadline date only to be told that the sum you were claiming had already been passed to a DCA. I believe that this premature and unlawful action by Plusnet was triggered when I filed a formal complaint through your official online procedures.

As a matter of urgency, the unlawful (in breach of contract) reference to a DCA should be recalled by you.

Baldrick1

@Achilles1 

Thank you for the full explanation. You do seem to be very proficient at doing things a day too late.

If you received an email stating that you would not be penalised after you had cancelled then I think that everyone would agree that you have a valid grievance, that seems to be the key issue.

I have never had a final demand from Plusnet so have not seen the wording. However I have no doubt that there is a computer involved here so if a communication says 'unless we receive payment by a date' (not on a date) then at 1 min past midnight I can imagine the computer automatically sending  it to the DCA.

Moderator and Customer