cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mis advised by Plusnet

ivesy
Grafter

Mis advised by Plusnet

My 12 months are up in February so I rang the 0800 number on Monday at around 15.30.
I spoke to a gentleman and explained my area doesn't have Fibre Optic BB at the moment but by May we should have it.  I asked when it's available could I just ring and alter my package.
I was told yes no problem.  I then asked how much it would be and was given the prices from your site.  I said that's a shame as I was looking at going to Talk Talk and they had a similair package but charged only £10 per month for fibre which was unlimited.
The initial comparison was as follows:
BB with Talk Talk and Plusnet was £2.50, Line rental with Talk Talk was £15.40 and Plusnet £14.50, inclusive calls with Talk Talk £5.50 and Plusnet £4.50.
The Net result was Plusnet would cost £21.99 and Talk Talk would be £23.40 but with Fibre Plusnet didn't seem so good costing an extra £19.99 making a total of  £41.98 compared to Talk Talk £33.40.
I was told by the Plusnet person I would be charged £11.99 extra for fibre making the price comparable to Talk Talk.
I asked TWICE (and I hope you record your calls!) if that was for unlimited and was told "yes".
So I went ahead with it.....I then thought what happens if I ring in May and you know nothing about this rate.
So I raised a ticket which was eventually replied to today basically saying if I rang back I would be charged either £15.99 or £19.99.  I've responded by saying as I feel I have been mis advised
I would like my MAC code so I can go to Talk Talk.
Then when I settled down I thought I would come on here to see if this can be sorted out and to clarify what exactly is going on here!
I will be ringing tomorrow anyway either for an explanation and apology or for my MAC code!
Not happy!
12 REPLIES 12
picbits
Rising Star

Re: Mis advised by Plusnet

PN *do* record their calls and the digital care team hopefully will pick this up in the morning and have a listen to your call.
Hopefully you'll get this all sorted Smiley
*Edit - please don't go to TalkTalk - if you have to go anywhere else look at every other option first !
ivesy
Grafter

Hi thanks for the heads up! Still no response from Plusnet. Just got in from work so haven't had time to ring.
ivesy
Grafter

Sill no reply can somebody contact me?
ivesy
Grafter

As a word of warning to others like me who thought Plusnet were a decent honest company (ie different to most of the rest) here's my story.
As my 12 months are up in February I rang to if they could do an offer that was as good as the Talk Talk (TT) one I had seen.
Line rental £15.40
Calls £5.50
Broadband £2.50
and....
Fibre broad band £10 extra (when it's available in my area)
Total £33.40 per month
I was then offered what I thought  from Plusnet
Line Rental £14.99
Calls £4.50
Broad band £2.50
and....
Fibre Broad band (unlimited) at £11.99.
Total £33.98
We agreed that basically I would be paying about the same price as TT. So believing once Fibre is available I would be paying this price so I went ahead and thought once my 12 months were up my new contract would kick in....
When I hung up I told the wife what I'd agreed.  She thought the broadband (BB)  offer seemed quite generous considering it's available for £19.99 on the site.  She suggested I get back in touch to have this confirmed.  At this stage I thought well if this is a mistake I'll just go to TT....
So i sent a message through the Plusnet site and waited a couple of days for an answer.  Eventually I got a reply which said fibre BB was available for £15.99 (limit) or £19.99 (unlimited) only and that I would have to ring the retention people to have this offer  confirmed.  I also thought it was strange I still hadn't (and as I type this nearly a week on still waiting) received the email confirming the package I was going to be on but the I also assumed since it would be February when my year was up then I would get the email then.
So I rang customer services on Friday gone and spoke (as usual) to a very polite gentleman who seemed genuine and was eager to help.  He said a manager would need to listen to the original call as he hadn't heard of such an offer.  I said if this was the case then I'd just go to TT it was because of the customer service (ha ha!) issues I'd heard about them that made me want to stay put.
He said I could expect a call back between 9-11 on the Saturday I told him they could have extra time to do this as I was at work til 3pm so we agreed that I'd get a call back at 4pm.
4pm came and went so around 4.40pm I rang to be told nobody had bothered to listen to the call or even bothered to ring me to explain why they hadn't.  I got the distinct impression the person had no idea why i had called.  I wasn't happy so the gentleman and promised he would listen to the call and ring me back before he went home.
I got a call back from another person at around 5.15 and was told I was completely wrong! I had never been been offered fibre BB at £11.99 unlimited as this was unheard of!
No I was told I would pay £11 extra if I rang when fibre was available but that would be with my original BB cost being £4.99 (I could lose the plot here because I'm still not sure what they meant) and this would be at that price for four months (possibly six) then going to full price after that.  Ok I said I may have misunderstood that but all I heard was I'd pay £11.99 (or £11 now?) on top of the new package (£21.99) making £33.98.
Even during the original call I was confused and twice asked for confirmation that once I rang to add fibre BB I would more or less (TT £33.40 P/N £33.98) be paying the same for the same package as TT? Yes I was told so I went ahead.
When I mentioned this a few times to the bloke who rang me yesterday (as he'd obviously heard it as well) he went quiet and kept referring me to this £11 offer for 4 or 6 moths etc.
But my beef here is I was confused and when I asked for confirmation I was left in no doubt I'd pay like for like with TT.
I then asked to cancel my contract but was told the new one had gone through on the 6th January and I would have received an email (still haven't got it) this was also news to me as I though I still had a month of the old contract. I would have to pay about £170!!!!!
I know the monthly amount isn't a fortune but it's more of a principle thing here.  I feel I have been misled into buying a package that is NOT the same price (or there about) to TT.  If this was not the case when I rang I would have cancelled during my original call and gone to TT end of story.
And for a company who say they will do me proud etc well these are just marketing words and don't seem to have any substance behind them I feel more or a fool for telling people I know about the virtues of this 'Yorkshire' company with 'values' etc
I've asked for the address of the complaint department and will probably copy and paste this (getting aching fingers now and I'm missing the toon on TV getting beat doing this!) into the letter to them as I will copy and paste this to Which? (I'm a member they LOVE Plusnet on there) and any other online place I can find.
I have a feeling the cooling off period  of 14 days does not apply here as my contract was ended on the the 6th then a new one took it's place so well done Plusnet you you got me!  you've done yourselves proud this time!
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Hi, hopefully one of the DCT members will be along tomorrow , and sort out the confusion and give you exactly what was offered and accepted
If you want to raise a  complaint, here is the info, (quicker to do online than by letter )
http://www.plus.net/support/service/policies/complaints_code_of_practice.shtml#howtocomplain.
Kind Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ivesy
Grafter

Cheers Mike I'll do that know
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

You should find there is a record of the offer in closed tickets and service notices in the Help Assistant. You can view these by going to https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=search, selecting an appropriate date range and clicking the "Go" button.
David
David
dragon2611
Grafter

You could always issue a DPA subject access request and ask them for the call recording I believe.
I think the maximum they're allowed to charge you in terms of an admin fee for  for it is something like £10.
ivesy
Grafter

Hi
There's no offer in the closed tickets which makes me even more suspicious they've dropped a clanger. Yes I am going to ask for a transcript but then I think they guy yesterday kept going quiet when I said ok maybe I have agreed to this as they have described BUT I also said so this package is the SAME as Talk Talk ie same price(ish) and product. I've sent an message to the complaints department.  I am prepared to stay if they honour what I thought I was being offered or they should let me go without penalty.
But it really has left me with a completely different view of Plusent and their customer services I thought they were different.  Sad
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi ivesy,
I'm afraid as per the notes on your account we've listened to the call and fibre was never offered or discussed at the £11.99 price you mention. Sorry you're thinking of leaving over this, but I'm not sure what further we can add at the moment aside from we'd be happy to offer you the price of £15.99 that was mentioned on the call once fibre is available to you?
Unless the call discussing fibre wasn't the one from the 9th, in which case if you let us know the date and time of the call and the number you called in from we'll get that one listened to and confirm what happened?
EDIT: Apologies, the call we've listened to was from the 6th and it's as above I'm afraid, if there's any other calls we should be listening to though to check please let us know times/dates and the phone number(s) they were made from.
ivesy
Grafter

But as I KEEP saying as far as I was concerned I was signing up for a package that was the same and cost approx the same as Talk Talk I was clearly confused by agreeing to sign up to Plusnet if it was going to cost me more. I didn't want to pay anymore than Talk Talk were offering I mean why would I?  We even agreed at the end of the call that it was approx the same cost for the same package which clearly it is not! Does that make sense? Am I losing the plot here?
I still haven't had an explanation as to  why nobody called me back and still haven't had this email that I was told on Saturday had been sent to me last Monday.
  I feel I have grounds for immediate cancellation of my contract (without fees) and Plusnet should do the decent thing and let me go to Talk Talk who offer packages and prices that are easy to understand!
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Sorry to hear that, but the prices were definitely discussed in the call at the £15.99 and £19.99 amounts? In addition it sounds like you don't have an issue with the price you're paying currently but with what fibre prices might be when it's available to you?
Bear in mind you can always renegotiate when it comes to upgrading to fibre. I don't think we could offer a set price before it's available for you in any case?