cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration inward

paulby
Grafter

Migration inward

I have a friend who wishes to migrate from Orange and already has the appropriate hardware etc. He is particularly keen on the monthly contract aspect with PN.
However, on the signup pages here, it says that migration is "free" if he stays for 12 months.  The impression being that he is required to pay the £40 activation fee to get a monthly contract. (The link to the Ts & Cs takes you to the 90 day money back Ts & Cs)
I can see the £40 being corrrect for a new ADSL activation (and the cost being "deferred" over 12 months) but is this really the case for a migration?
7 REPLIES 7
Not applicable

Re: Migration inward

Migration in is free, but the activation fee is payable if you leave within 12mths under a program PN call 'deferal'
Basically the fee sits on the account, and only falls due for payment if the person leaves. After 12mths PN remove the fee as a thankyou for staying for 12mths.
Nothing to lose by opting to have the fee deferred over 12mths, the contract is still monthly, and if he did leave inside 12mths he'd only pay the same as if he payed it up front.
James
Grafter

You need to select the "I already have broadband" link rather than the "Free setup" one.
Deferred migration is £14.99 rather than £40.
paulby
Grafter

Thanks for that Jameseh! 
I didn't think that it would be £40 for a migration (I eventually found the £14.99 figure buried in the support pages) but the sign up pages aren't clear (they give the impression that you need to pay £40 if you don't want free migration) and the link to the Ts and Cs doesn't explain it either!  Perhaps a wee change to the sign-up page is needed  Smiley
James
Grafter

It's already something that I've recommended and will be implemented within the coming months Smiley
Loombucket
Grafter

Paul_B:  does your friend have a MAC key issued by Orange?  If so, what hoops did he have to jump through to get it?
I ask because I'm trying to prise a MAC key out of Orange for one of my customers and I've never come up against so much obstruction as I have from them.  They are completely disregarding the OFCOM guidelines and stonewalling frantically to aviod losing the customer - pathetic, isn't it?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I believe OFCOM are now taking up individual cases, so if you've asked in the correct manner and Orange aren't playing, contact OFCOM.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
paulby
Grafter

@Loombucket
He e-mailed them using their on-line contact form.  He got a MAC the next day complete with a letter full of dire warnings about minimum contract lengths etc.  He's now contacting them again to see what they think his position is regarding his contract.  As far as he's concerned he shouldn't be in a minimum term as he's still paying a £27.99/month subscription for an old Freeserve package.  However, he thinks that they might have tied him in when he was regraded to ADSL Max from a fixed 2Meg last year.