cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating from plusnet

defiant
Grafter

Migrating from plusnet

service started on 03/06/09 account type "plusnet unlimited" with 3months  @  £11.99 then £15.99p/m.  which has risen to £16.34 a month. my two main questions arehow much would Plusnet charge me to migrate to another ISP now?  and how long would i need to wait to avoid a charge?
Thanks for reading...
if your interested below is why im considering other  service providers.
1) My estimated line speed  at sign up was 3mb since then its steadily decreased to the current estimated line speed of 0.5mb
2) I hanged around thinking 21cn would improve things unfortunately not! ive gone from a steady 2.5-3mb down to 1-2mb depending when bt/plusnet change profiles
    the connection since 21cn daily bounces down in sync which may only last a moment but as a result the bras profile lowers.
sync speed can be anything from 4448-1998 at the time of writing this my adsl line is configured like this..
plusnet profile is 1500
bt bras profile is currently 2000
router is currently synced in at 3850/714
plusnet say bt have done line tests and say nothing is wrong
and the only suggestion from plusnet now is another engineer visit which always results in a 2 minute test saying everythings fine.
16 REPLIES 16
Mand
Grafter

Re: Migrating from plusnet

Hi there,
You've currently got a deferred setup charge on your account (until July), which means if you requested to move elsewhere you'd need to pay £30.
Regarding your issues, you've currently got a 3000 profile according to our stats (as of yesterday) but you have a *very* intermittent connection.
I'd suggest raising a fault and I'll get one of our guys to push it with BTw for you.
It's also worth mentioning that a line issue may well move with you if you do decide to leave.
defiant
Grafter

Hello Mand thanks for answering.  Im not really  wanting to leave but its been frustrating trying to get this fixed, as according to bt nothings wrong. I would love for this to be taken seriously, its as though bt are able to blame the line length and disregard the possibility of a underlying fault. Line tests and diagnostics were done and bt said nothing was wrong but since closing the fault the sync speeds have been improving.  Although  the intermittent connecting and random drop of sync can still happen which leaves the profiles looping. 
heres a example of the looping
BT profile  2mb >>>plus.net profile 1500 >>> Plus.net profile 2000 <> whilst bt profile goes to 3mb  then my line resyncs and falls under 3mb so BT reduce the profile to 2mb >>> then plus.net updates to 3mb.
ive also noticed when BT's profile is 2mb and the plus.net profile is still above it the connection gets alot closer to 2mb.
just before submitting the connection dropped and the snr was fine and the sync speed increased alittle i would have thought if it was dropping due to signal quality the speed would go down.
ive included a image of the line stats for you to look over.

Thanks defiant
Mand
Grafter

I'll get a look at your fault tomorrow and see what I can do. Wink
defiant
Grafter

Im not sure if its useful but heres a screenie of  the connection now  its been up for 7 hours 19mins since posting earlier.
and thanks alot for taking this on mand  Cool

Mand
Grafter

I'm running some tests on the line now.
defiant
Grafter

Mand thanks for pushing this but its not helped. Ive been through these hoops before, the line has been tested my profile's gone down instead of up and the response from bt is nothings wrong?  
on sign up i was quoted 3mb as that was what i had with my previous provider
on paper the max stable rate of my line is quoted as being 2mb so anything over that is a bonus
currently the line is under the max stable rate so surely this shows there is a issue. Roll_eyes

the signal to noise ratio was at 20db so i decided i would resync the connection with adsl1 modulation im going to leave it like that and see how the connection holds
defiant
Grafter

stats now after changing modulation to adsl1

Mand
Grafter

You're on a banded profile so you shouldn't have an SNR that fluctuates so wildly, or as many errors as we can see on the line.
We're gonna book an engineer, and take it from there.
defiant
Grafter

Thanks for the reply mand i just hope the line acts up whilst the engineer is testing as the fault is very intermittent and nothing i change seems to help.  I  also fail to see how BT can say the line is fine when you take into consideration what i see and you have seen from monitoring the line.  Out of  curiosity what is the band set at as earlier the line was synced at 3168k with 736k up with a snr of 13 and since then it has dropped to 2144 with 736k up and a snr of 18.

Cheers Alan
Mand
Grafter

It's the 1-3Mb banded profile (can't remember the exact figures, but it's just over 1Mb to just over 3Mb).
defiant
Grafter

I finally feel things are getting done.  Unfortunately Initial testing didnt show the intermittent fault. After further investigation the engineers replaced the drop wire and master socket.  Then whilst they tested the new line and socket the engineers captured the fault happening infront of them whilst testing the adsl  Grin  The lead engineer has instructed me to book a second appointment to fix the fault as they ran out of time yestarday.

Thank you mand!
Mand
Grafter

Glad to hear we're getting somewhere. Smiley
defiant
Grafter

Mand thought its worth mentioning that the line lost sync and wont allow adsl2 modulation now so ive had to fall back to adsl1 which is dropping out alot more  Undecided  if anything adsl2 modulation hold sync better although i guess this could change after the faults gone.
defiant
Grafter

Unfortunately the connection has degraded since being looking at. Tonight the adsl is  reconnecting frequently out of 223 reconnects  at least 170 of these have been today. We are expecting cold weather tonight could that be contributing to the problem?  I'll call to arrange the engineer visits tomorrow.