cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating away - What happens?

Ellis
Grafter

Re: Migrating away - What happens?

I migrated from Tiscali to Plus Net last August. I have just checked my Tiscali mailbox and it is still working (as incoming only). I hardly ever get any mail in that box now, but I shall have to remember that if I ever decided to migrate from Plus Net (unlikely) I should downgrade to a non-subscription 'free' account instead of full account closure.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

One of the reasons I use Plusnet email addresses is because if I decide to leave I can keep using them.
If this is no longer the case I want to know as I will start progressively changing my contact email addresses so that, should I leave I would have full continuity.
To be clear I already have an account with 1 and 1 which will give me all the things Plusnet email gives including the catchall facility.
I have a domain hosted with Plusnet and I can change my email contacts from me@username.plus.com to me@mydomain.co.uk for example and because of the way Plusnet handle the email addresses mail to me@username.plus.com or to me@mydomain.co.uk will continue to be picked up by either mailbox..
Should I decide to leave all I would need to do is to move my  domain to 1and1 and set up the emails and all my email addresses would continue to be valid
I really want a definitive answer to this as the cancellation policy http://www.plus.net/support/service/policies/cancellation.shtml#generalPolicies ; isn't clear as is shown by the responses to this thread.
Wheel_nut
Grafter

I have just had a response to my Ticket #40004491 and it says:
Dear Mr Xxxxxxx,
Thank you for your query.
When you have used your MAC code, this should automatically perform the actions you have requested.
I will return this ticket to yourself, awaiting any further updates from you.
Please do not hesitate to get back in touch online at http://contactus.plus.net or by phone on 0845 140 0200 if we can be of further assistance.
Kind regards,
Dxxxxx Xxxxx

Go figure!  Undecided  Cool  Roll_eyes
Wheel_nut
Grafter

And the answer is: ....... and a very good answer too.  Smiley  Kiss
I consider this to be a very well crafted (automated) script and would have been very happy if it had been sent on the day that I called instead of being deliberately delayed by 5 days.
Script User - Automated Script Pool
1:16am, Monday 21 Feb 2011
The Question 39938389 has been released from hold and sent back to Cancellation - Mac
Dear Xxxxx XXxxxx,
Here is your MAC Key that you can use to migrate your broadband from Plusnet to another provider if you wish:
MAC Key: AAAANNNNNNN/AANNA
This MAC key will expire on: 23/03/2011
You can pass this on to your provider of choice but you don't have to do so. If the MAC Key isn't used your service will remain with us.
We understand that you've already given your decision serious thought but we ask you to think again before passing the key on. We can offer you an alternative wireless (or wired) ADSL router if you wish on our Broadband Family of products. We've also got the lowest cost stand alone Broadband service in the UK if you're looking to cut costs. If you intend to move house in the near future we can cover the cost for you if you're willing to keep your custom with us. We also have our award winning Customer Support Centre should you have any service issues or just something you wanted to chat about.
In addition our team will be happy to offer you a price or contract that will compete with any offers from other providers - why not call them on 0845 140 6002 and see what we can do for you?
Many thanks for your time reading this, and if you've absolutely made up your mind then thank you for your custom.
Notice period (days): 10
We'll work out how much you owe at the time you migrate away. If there's a charge due we'll take payment and let you know. After this we'll change your broadband account to a free dial-up service, so you can access My Account if you need to. (my Bold)
You currently have these subscriptions for additional services on your account too:
- Talk Anytime
Once again thank you for your time and your custom, whether you remain with us or use your MAC Key. If you do use the key and find that the grass isn't greener on the other side of the fence we'd be overjoyed to welcome you back.
Thanks,
Plusnet Customer Support
http://www.plus.net/
Email ref: E0MAC
--
Plusnet plc
Registered Office: Internet House, 2 Tenter Street, Sheffield, S1 4BY
Registered in England no: 3279013
Oldjim
Resting Legend

The important part of that message is
You currently have these subscriptions for additional services on your account too:
- Talk Anytime

Because of that they had to let you keep your access to your account
The lack of any response to my post two above is frankly somewhat worrying [stirring mode on] and I wonder if a post over at TBB would get a quicker response once the regular stirrers over there get to hear of it. [/stirring mode off]
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I'd suggest going for it - Plusnet changing the rules without formally notifying users always gets them well stirred up!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Hi Oldjim, Am I being thick? I don't understand the significance of the Talk Anytime being on my account.
PlusNet don't supply Telephony without Broadband so I am migrating both Telephony and Broadband out on the same date (31 March 2011). There is no requirement to notify PlusNet because this is handled by the receiving supplier.
I am switching to BT so I'll leave it to the Masters to sort it out with their slave. Tongue
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Although you can't order home phone without broadband you can move your broadband elsewhere leaving yourself using home phone only. It wasn't clear whether that was what you were doing or not and in the absence of you saying you were moving your phone an assumption was made!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Hi Jelv, I didn't know that I could keep the Telephony service without Broadband but I wouldn't want to do it anyway.
I am moving to BT primarily to get access to the Openzone and FON WiFi hotspots while I am travelling during the summer months. Incedentally, I am also saving £80 over the 18 month period by moving to BT but that alone would not have incented me to make the change.
With the homologation of charging structures between BT and its subsidiary companies, there is now little to differentiate the product lines. The only difference that I perceive is that BT seem to be bundling more and more value added services and PlusNet seem to be withdrawing them by stealth.
Life's too short to waste my time on watching PlusNet's antics and dodging curve-balls. If BT doesn't suit my needs, I'll move on. You never know, O2 may havee LLU on my exchange in 18 months time.  Roll_eyes
Mand
Grafter

Hi guys,
To clarify the process:
1) If you migrate out and have no chargeable services your account will be set to cancel in 30 days
2) If you migrate out and have chargeable services your account will be downgraded to a free account type but you will continue to be billed for whatever chargeable service you have
3) If you move to a full LLU provider this comes through as a cease rather than a migration and your account will be cancelled
The email/webspace only product is for people in scenario 1) or 3) who wish to keep their email/webspace services. Whilst this is a deviation from our policies in the past £20 is not bad value for email and domain services. Providing such a service still has associated costs, and after a customer has left there is a commerical argument against providing these services for free.
Wheel_nut, you'd fall under scenario 2), as home phone is cancelled 8 days after transferring away (to collect any outstanding call charges). This means that when the migration script picks up the notification that you've migrated out you'll still have an active home phone service.
Everyone else - the T+C's are pretty specific about this: 'If you are using any services, applications or features that we provide which are free of charge, these will end on the day your agreement with us ends.'
Bruce47
Grafter

Mand, what would happen in the case of 1) where a user has many referrals and a few still undergoing activation - how would they keep an eye on their referral payments?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Thank you Mand.
That makes it clear.
When did the T&C's change and how were we notified
I will now be progressively moving all my email addresses to my domain.
Mand
Grafter

Quote from: Bruce47
Mand, what would happen in the case of 1) where a user has many referrals and a few still undergoing activation - how would they keep an eye on their referral payments?

By default the account would still be set to cancel.
Manual intervention would be needed to change that.
Mand
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
Thank you Mand.
That makes it clear.
When did the T&C's change and how were we notified
I will now be progressively moving all my email addresses to my domain.

The T+C's were changed significantly in December 09. All customers were emailed to notify them of these changes.
Mand
Grafter

I've also requested our content team update that page to make the situation clearer (this will prob take a few days, but is in progress).