cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating an existing customer

msssltd
Grafter

Migrating an existing customer

This might not be the right place for the question but here goes.
I have a customer that is downsizing their office.  They currently have an ADSL small business account provisioned on a line at their main office premises with a mail server on the end of it.  They are also using their plus provided webspace.
We wish to move them to new premises with as little interuption to the e-mail service as possible (read none).  There is a suitable line at the new premises with ADSL provisioned by another provider.  We have obtained the mac code.
So is it possible to have plus provision the new line and move the existing account over to it?
...and they want this done by end of play Christmas eve!
Any help greatly appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Migrating an existing customer

You'll probably get a better response in Community Support. Maybe a mod can move it?
I'm sure PlusNet will be along to tell you this soon, but I am sure they'll be able to do something.
I assume you mean you have a MAC for the new premises? In that case you could open a new account and transfer it to PlusNet. This will of course require a different username.
Also I assume you have domains hosted by PlusNet, and the MX records point to the static IP for the mailserver? You will need to update this to point to the IP address of the new account, and the DNS change will take about 2 days to come into effect. I don’t really know a lot about the small business accounts.
But if you open a new account at the new premises, I am sure PlusNet could move the hosting of the domain between the old account to the new one. Or you might be able to keep the old account as a free dial-up one.
So for uninterrupted e-mail service, I guess you'd have to set a mailserver up at the new premises, change the DNS and wait, keeping the old server in parallel. After some time mail will start to be delivered to the new server.
Anyway I’m no expert on this (I've changed DNS before, but that's about it), so someone more knowledgeable than me might be able to help!
msssltd
Grafter

Quote from: Alex
You'll probably get a better response in Community Support. Maybe a mod can move it?
Thanks Alex. 
I am perfectly within my comfort zone when it comes to the technical aspects.  The ISP stuff is pretty basic compared to the distributed virtual working environment we are putting in to replace the office LAN and telephone system Cool

I assume you mean you have a MAC for the new premises? In that case you could open a new account and transfer it to PlusNet. This will of course require a different username.
Also I assume you have domains hosted by PlusNet, and the MX records point to the static IP for the mailserver? You will need to update this to point to the IP address of the new account, and the DNS change will take about 2 days to come into effect. I don’t really know a lot about the small business accounts.
But if you open a new account at the new premises, I am sure PlusNet could move the hosting of the domain between the old account to the new one. Or you might be able to keep the old account as a free dial-up one.
This is what I am trying to confirm.  We have enough to do and I was wondering whether we could migrate the accounts across the lines and avoid a complete re-supply and cease.  Our project co-ordinator raised a ticket with CSC but she is non-technical and I was not completely happy with the answer.  I was wondering whether anyone here might have been through the loop.
So for uninterrupted e-mail service, I guess you'd have to set a mailserver up at the new premises, change the DNS and wait, keeping the old server in parallel. After some time mail will start to be delivered to the new server.
We are being a bit cleverer than that.  Basically we setup a fallback MX.  Move the customers server and forward the mail spool once the server is re-commissioned at the new premises. :8
Mark
Grafter

No need to move the topic.
We'll get it picked up in here Smiley
James
Grafter

Hi there Smiley
This shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Once they have the MAC Code from the existing supplier, they'll be able to place an order to migrate into ourselves.  this should take 5 working days to complete.  They will also need to request cancellation of their existing service, which we can downgrade to a free PAYG service, thus keeping the account active.
Once the new account is set up, we can transfer the domains and webspace from the old account to the new one.  If you PM me, then I'll be able to get someone to sort this out for you/them.
Let me know if you have any further queries!