cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate from BT Infinity to Plusnet (non-fibre) Unlimited Broadband

f9isdn

Migrate from BT Infinity to Plusnet (non-fibre) Unlimited Broadband

I currently have BT infinity, I want to leave and don't think I need fibre, but the order system doesn't seem to want to let me order a non-fibre product
Yes, I have fibre and I want to intentionally have slower speeds...
I don't get any advantage from having fibre with BT, I have all this download potential that is capped at 40GB download so always having to keep an eye on it incase somebody watches too much youtube or iplayer each month...  
Moving to plusnet fibre would save some cash and get me unlimited, but I'm more of a cheapskate than that...  I would rather be on the £2.49/mth Unlimited Broadband, paying the line rental in advance and ordering via Money saving expert for some extra cash back...  (told you, I'm a proper skinflint!! Smiley )
So,
a) is it possible to downgrade? how?
b) will it cost me anything to move?
c) how long would it take?
d) if I really do need fibre speeds and decide after a few months to switch back to fibre will that entail any additional costs?
The webpage order link from mse to plusnet ordering told me there was a temp fault on the line check and only offered me switch to plusnet fibre products...
I used the chat and the lady on there seemed very helpful and knowledgable, she told me there was no additional costs or fees to switch or switch back...
and that contracts would just renew, no early termination or anything like that...  then just at the end she adds...  Actually, I'm not sure you can switch and you may be charged.
So what's the deal?  Can I downgrade when I switch to plusnet? and can I have the£50 cashback?
I like the idea of £12 a month, can't really justify the £30-£40/mth
f9
7 REPLIES 7
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Migrate from BT Infinity to Plusnet (non-fibre) Unlimited Broadband

Hi f9isdn,
I totally understand the reasoning behind this as there are some significant costs involved where Fibre is concerned and a downgrade back to copper ADSL would solve this.
As this is still a relatively new technology it would be difficult from our perspective to migrate you in while modifying the service back down to ADSL as this adds in a new layer of complexity. It may well be quicker and easier to have the downgrade submitted with BT before you make the switch to us and that way you can just grab a MAC code from them and pass it over to us and we can transfer you in.
Alternatively we could migrate you in on Fibre and downgrade you to copper ADSL however I'm unsure how this would work due to the way our contracting system works and this type of move being a bit of an edge case.
Given the above I would say that the first option would be the neatest and quickest way to make the transfer and ensure you're on the correct product without having to have anything fudged over on our side. In addition to this you would most certainly have the option to jump back to a Fibre product with us should you find you need the speed at a later date.
So to answer your questions in order:
a) is it possible to downgrade? how? _ as above, it would be better to downgrade before the move
b) will it cost me anything to move? - A migration in to Plusnet on any service is done free of charge
c) how long would it take? - I migration in on copper ADSL would be around 7-10 days at maximum
d) if I really do need fibre speeds and decide after a few months to switch back to fibre will that entail any additional costs? - You will be able to do this and there would be no cost involved however you would be asked to take up a new 18 month contract as part of the upgrade
Hope this covers everything for you!
f9isdn

Hello Adam,
Yes this certainly does cover everything.  Thank you very much for a comprehensive reply.
My only query/concern would be whether BT would want to start me on a new contract to make the change from fibre to copper BB.
I will call them to see what they say about that when I ask to downgrade.
Many Thanks
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi f9isdn,
Please get back to us to let us know what BT say about re-contracting to downgrade to ADSL.
If it does mean a re-contract there is a way we can migrate you over to Plusnet for ADSL but it does require a bit of manual intervention.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Linn,
Having just posted on the other thread about the complications of a migration plus upgrade to fibre, I've found this migration plus down grade to ADSL.
First what a brilliant response!,  Grin
I think that the industry needs to get a flexibility act / plan together.  It seems to me that when users change supplier it is highly likely that they will also want to change services.  An interim contract to effect the change in service plus a like for like migration is not supportive of customer's needs.  Indeed it is quite restrictive.
The ability of PlusNET to be able to deliver a simultaneous migrate and change service could be an attractive market unique selling point, which when you discuss with marketing, do not forget to tell them that you thought of this first and know how it can be done!   Does PlusNET operate an employee brilliant idea reward scheme?  If yes you should be nominated for one for this creativity!  Grin
Cheers,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Kevin,
The upgrade side of the migration should actually work fine, the complexity that we see is on the downgrade of the service which is quite a rare scenario. The issue comes with our own sign up process which is designed to pick up on the technology that a customer has when they attempt to migrate into us and then offer them the packages available to them based on their current technology. If they're on ADSL but Fibre is available then it will offer them both like-for-like and the upgrade path.
I guess this is due to the likelihood of someone moving back down the technology ladder being slim to none, however, we will always come up against these edge cases where the functionality would have streamlined the whole process instead of adding manual provisioning complexity  Undecided
Most definitely something to consider when we next look to refresh our sign up processes.
f9isdn

Hello,
It's the Edge-Case here again...
BT said they would absolutely have to put me on a new tariff/contract to downgrade so I asked for my MAC code which they gave me without any attempt to persuade me to stay, which was a relief, but surprised me until i read that plusnet was part of  BT Smiley
So what now?
Currently paying £36/month with BT Infinity 1 (limited)
BT Plusnet Fibre unlimited = ~£25/month
with Affiliate cashback ~£20/month
BT Plusnet ADSL unlimited = ~£15/month
No cashback option because I can't order online due to the "additional complexity" and "manual intervention"  ...?Huh
otherwise I would have been looking at equivalent of somewhere under £10/month for the next 12 months.
Regards
edgeCase
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi f9isdn,
I thought that may be the case. Let us know what you decide to do and we'll do our best to help from our side.
BT Plusnet ADSL unlimited = ~£15/month
No cashback option because I can't order online due to the "additional complexity" and "manual intervention"  ...?Huh

If you wanted to go with the ADSL Unlimited route we'd match whatever new sign up offer we were advertising at the time of sign up for ADSL and we'd manually add these discounts once the account was changed to ADSL instead of FTTC if that makes sense? You'd have to let us know on here that you wanted to have this carried out as it will require a fair amount of manual work - to ensure it goes as smoothly as possible one of us would have to take this on as a personal.