Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Merge two phone lines into one

FIXED
DJMilly
Hooked

Merge two phone lines into one

We have two landlines A + B. Line A is with PlusNet, Line B with Hive Telecom. We would like to transfer the telephone number used on Line B from Hive to PlusNet. The PlusNet number on Line A we no longer want.

There was a similar thread on here started by DJ1UK and Fixed by HarryB (PlusNet Staff) but I can't work out how to contact either of these people to discuss my issue. I've spent hours on the phone yesterday and today to try and sort out this problem with PlusNet and Hive Telecom. PlusNet are suggesting I ask Hive to Cease the Line and release the Line B number for PlusNet to hopefully reclaim it from BT's number pool. Hive are reluctant to cease the line because they say it risks loosing the number as there's no guarantee of reclaiming it. This does seem too risky and it is very important we don't loose the number as so many people have that number.

I look forward to hopefully receiving replies from @HarryB or @DJ1UK for some first hand experience of a similar problem hopefully resolved without loosing the number!

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Names tagged.

14 REPLIES 14
DJ1UK
Grafter

Re: Merge two phone lines into one

Hi DJMilly

Sorry but I didn't go ahead and still have two lines, one plus net (with phone and BB) and one BT (phone only and main number).

Still on my to do list to merge them.

DJ
DJMilly
Hooked

Hi DJ1UK

Thanks for your swift reply. I could really do with someone like HarryB at PlusNet assisting me here it's quite an unusual request. I'm really concerned about the possibility of loosing the number currently with Hive. When you spoke with PlusNet were they confident that creating another account and making a transfer request was the way to do it and then cancel the original PlusNet Account. I suggested this to PN today and they came back to me saying I would need to make a request to Hive to either cease my telephone line or provide me with another number. PN would then retrieve my number from the BT number pool. This seems very risky to me! 

DJMilly

DJ1UK
Grafter

I agree that it seems risky.

I think my situation was different, I was planning to keep the BT line and phone number (main number) then move BB to this line and allow PlusNet to take over the BT line and number.

The line plusnet BB is currently on would cease and the number removed.
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hi @DJMilly,

Just to clarify, are you wanting to end up with the broadband from Line A staying on Line A, and the number from Line B replacing the current number on Line A with Line B being ceased with no services at all?

As the Hive line is on the BT Network too, we unfortunately can't obtain this just by placing a number import as this can only be done to port numbers currently not on the BT Network (If they're with Sky or TalkTalk for example).

Having said this, what I'd like to do is transfer the line over to us and then try to move the number across from one line to the other. If this doesn't work, our only option at that point would be to cease the line and then try to renumber the line you're wanting to keep (Ideally Line A as we wouldn't need to re-provide broadband on Line B then).

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
DJMilly
Hooked

Hi Harry

Many thanks for your reply.

To clarify the landline number we want to keep is currently used on a Hive Telecom account. We want to use that number on our PlusNet account. The current PlusNet account landline number is no longer wanted.

Regards

DJMilly

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks, but can you confirm that you ultimately want to end up with just one line?

As opposed to us taking the number from the Hive line and still maintaining an active phone service with Hive on a new number after we've taken that?

I've raised a ticket on your account for myself to keep an eye on this and I'll get some orders placed tomorrow when I'm back in (This shouldn't affect the lead times due to the time of day currently)

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
DJMilly
Hooked

Hi Harry

Ultimately what we'd like to end up with is one landline with PlusNet with the number currently in use with my Hive Telecom account. The Hive account will be closed. We no longer require two land line numbers but the number we want to keep is the Hive number. The current PlusNet number will go replaced with the Hive number.

Our current PlusNet package is Fibre Unlimited Extra which is amazing! We've been PlusNet customers since 2004, 14 years! 🙂

Many thanks for your help!

DJMilly

DJMilly
Hooked

Good morning Harry

Just so you're aware I spoke with one of your colleagues late yesterday who was going to set up a new second account for me but when he checked there was no space in the cabinet for another Fibre connection. When I checked using the web link he sent me for Sam knows it says that it is available unless I'm missing something?

What I don't want to happen is to cease the account with Hive and loose the number, this must not happen because too many people have that number!

DJMilly

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Would it be easier to treat this case as a house move? Service from Plusnet moves from lineA to lineB transferring from Hive to Plusnet in the process. It's a working line takeover, so retaining the number should be straightforward?  There's always a gotcha - but this could work.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

DJMilly
Hooked

Hi Maurice 

Thanks for your suggestion, hopefully Harry will be able to get to the bottom of this for me today, it sounds really simple and straightforward in theory but I'm not sure which way he'll do it. Either way I can't afford to loose the Hive number!

DJMilly

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Fix

You absolutely do not need a second account to get this sorted, so I'll get some feedback passed over regarding the person that advised you to do that.

Leave it with me and I'll keep you updated via the ticket on your account Here: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=185049067

EDIT (Adding more info):

I'm going to transfer the Hive line over to us, this should take around 10 working days.

Following this I'm hoping to be able to use the line as a Donor line while moving the number over to the existing Plusnet line.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
DJMilly
Hooked

Hi Harry

Thanks so much for doing this for me as you can see from my account notes I’ve spoken to numerous PN advisors over the past few days.

DJMilly
DJMilly
Hooked

Hi Harry

Thank you so much for all your help. The line transferred without a hitch from Hive Telecom and the slight hic-up with the billing overcharge has now been resolved. Your customer service has been absolutely brilliant, you've kept me informed every step of the way and I remain a very satisfied PlusNet Loyal Customer since 2004! 🙂

I wish you an absolutely magical Christmas and happy New Year!

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @DJMilly,

Really glad to see @HarryB has resolved the issue for you. I will make sure he sees your kind words once he is back in the office.

Same to you, merry Christmas and a happy new year!

Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional