cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Meeting the price scam

Newton

Meeting the price scam

When I said I was leaving I got a email saying ring them and that they would compete with the price from other providers. This proved a complete scam. Their only intention was to con me into paying the highest possible price. I was offered their best special deal of £4-50 per month if I signed a two year deal. They made no mention to me of the fact that their site is offering broadband from £1-75 to £2-50 which changes day to day.
They refused to meet the price from other providers that I mentioned. I then mentioned opting for fibre optics. Again they refused to meet the price of a provider I mentioned. I was told if I wanted that price to go to that provider.
Unfortunately for Plusnet I have a few outlets available to be able to give this matter a fair bit of publicity.
12 REPLIES 12
picbits
Rising Star

Re: Meeting the price scam

What were the other deals you were looking at with alternative suppliers ?
You need to bear in mind that PN buy their services from BT Wholesale and margins are tight at the best of times - on many heavily discounted packages, they won't make a penny profit out of a customer until around 2/3rds of the way through the contract.
Newton

I do not question what you say. I object when Plusnet say they will compete with price from other providers. No doubt they cannot compete but saying they will is being untruthful.
One provider I mentioned offer the Internet and buy their services from Plusnet.
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

@Newton you know the ropes go somewhere else for at year get their new customer discount then come back to plusnet
Simples  Roll_eyes
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Calling it a scam is a bit strong in my opinion. You haven't lost out and you haven't been conned. You're free to take your business elsewhere if you do wish.
Where's the scam? Plusnet have made you an offer and you have rejected it. They clearly feel that they cannot compete against the price offered by the other providers you've found and they've said so... . Entirely truthful.
Just because a company says that they will try to compete it doesn't mean that they will always win!  
Newton

You are not correct. I was not made any offer. I was asked to telephone Plusnet and told that they would compete with prices from other providers.  I did so and was told they would not compete with other providers. I question why they make the untrue claim.
If I had not been asked to do so I would have had nothing to complain about.
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Please post the email you received on this thread. It will help us to understand your issue.
You quote the headline prices "their site is offering broadband from £1-75 to £2-50 which changes day to day." but these headline prices are for Market 2/3 exchanges and are for extended contract durations. I would be interested in understanding exactly why you are unable to secure a published offering by calling the Options team.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Check the prices shown here: https://www.plus.net/info2/legal/price_guide.html
If what you were quoted is less than is shown on there you were offered a deal.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Mav
Fixes: 515

I think there's a misunderstanding here of the word 'compete'.
I can compete with Mo Farah - doesn't mean I would win, though.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Nyxanna
Grafter

I suggest you post the real email that you received if you want anyone to believe you. They most likely said that they will try to compete and when you told them about the prices of whoever you want to choose they realized they can't and said you should just go with your chosen provider.
How exactly have they scammed you or anything?
For your information, I renewed my contract with PN just a week ago and received a very good deal that does compete very well with other suppliers. On top of this PN's service is a lot better than TT where people face disconnects and horrible speeds all the time while only being able to call an outsourced call centre that most people don't even understand.
They did not lie in the email either even if what you said is true since they had no idea which provider you were going to choose. It feels like you are upset that your favourite ISP, PN, is not being cheap enough for you to stay with them or else you would just move on.
newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

"On top of this PN's service is a lot better than TT where people face disconnects and horrible speeds all the time"
I found that statement quite amusing. Grin
Substitute TT with PN, PN's sevice is a lot better with PN's service can be a lot worse, remove disconnects and it sums up my gradually diminishing download speed perfectly! To which I am told "we can find no faults on your line". Yes there is, my download has dropped from 5mb/s last May to a current 3.1mb/s.
And by coincidence Roll_eyes the latest speed drop occurred immediately after agreeing a new contract.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

NAT,
You did not respond to the possibility of looking further into your issue as suggested here - https://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,129100.msg1122855.html#msg1122855
Self help running RouterStats might give some illumination into the cause of your problems.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Mav
I can compete with Mo Farah

You could run along side him for a bit. You certainly wouldn't be competing with him.