Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Market 1 exchange pricing

sandwithbells
Grafter

Market 1 exchange pricing

Hi,
I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction, I convinced my in-laws to convert their plusnet dial up account to ADSL given it appeared to only cost £1 extra. However when they contacted Plusnet they were told that they were on a Market 1 exchange and therefore it would be 12.99 not 5.99. Despite initially being told it would be discounted as an existing customer, when it actually came to it this wasn't the case so they have backed out "it's good enough". Now I do remember the silly OFCOM pricing rules but when I looked on the BT Wholesale website there were costs listed for Wholesale Broadband Connect  that suggest that there is no price difference for ongoing rental for the different markets.
https://www.btwholesale.com/pages/static/Library/Pricing_and_Contractual_Information/Part_7_BT_Whole...
Looking for IPStream I can't see any difference there either so am a little confused.
The reason I was looking is to try and identify whether it is worth doing the rounds of providers to find someone cheaper than Plusnet for Market 1, long shot I know. Can anyone point me in the direction of the relevant BTW pricing? Or indeed an alternative ISP, next stop is 3G but I know coverage isn't brilliant as we've used a usb dongle at their house before so I'm investigating routers with external antenna.
Cheers
Alistair
4 REPLIES 4
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Market 1 exchange pricing

Basically for Market 1 exchanges the prices are fixed and non negotiable (OFCOM rules) but for the others the ISP can negotiate discounts
For market 1 - have a look and see what is available http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search
If there are any LLU suppliers - Talk Talk or Sky they would be the cheapest
If there aren't then I see two options
BT or Plusnet
As you don't have broadband you may be able to screw Plusnet into giving you it for half price for 12 months specially if you tell them that if they won't you are going to move the phone to another supplier
Alternatively BT will give you half price for 3 months which is nothing like as good and would mean switching your phone to them as well
jollyj

Hello, I am also in the high price area and am angry that we cannot get the cheap deals that are offered else where. I telephoned OFCOM and they say there are no rules from them only market forces ie. less competition. It is interesting that they say it is the provider and Plusnet blame OFCOM!!
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

That is total rubbish - they fix the prices in Market 1 exchanges
sandwithbells
Grafter

Thanks for the confirmation OldJim, always good to know I'm not missing anything obvious, will see what I can persuade them...
Cheers
Alistair