Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Market 1/2

calbliss
Grafter

Market 1/2

Hi
I am after some clarification here. I am a plusnet customer and have been for a number of years and I currently pay £9.99 a month for my broadband as it is a market 2 exchange.
My daughter is with sky and wants to move to plusnet but her exchange is market 1 therefore it will cost her a lot more.
I did some research on what the differences are between market 1 and market 2 and my understanding was down to the number of llu operators there are at the different exchanges.
The two exchanges are Coningsby and Woodhall spa and I found that both sky and talk talk are both llu operators at both exchanges and yet one is market 1 and the other is market 2.
So my questions are can she get the cheaper broadband with plusnet and if not why? And who can I complain to about the woodhall spa exchange as it is clearly a market 2 exchange.
I gained my information from http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/SLWSP and http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/SLCBY
Thanks
Cal
5 REPLIES 5
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Market 1/2

OFCOM make the market designation and tell BT wholesale they must charge ISPs at the exchange. They only review the designation every three years.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Plusnet will blame offcom, offcome will blame the supplier (ie plusnet)
Plusnet dont care, as long as they are making money. With it being a market 1 exchange despite the fact that by offcoms own definitions its market 2 ( or possibly 3?) plusnet wil be charging significantly more, if customers are daft enough to sign up with them as opose to Sky or Talk talk on that exchange.
edit, plusnet dont appear to want to do anything about this, you would have thought they would be applying presure on offcom to change the market classifications that is unless they are making more money from market 1 exchnages
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

That's rubbish about Plusnet not caring. Plusnet are not a charity, could you explain to me why they should charge the customer less that the OFCOM regulation says BT Wholesale must charge Plusnet or any other ISP?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
James
Grafter

We get charged more on Market 1 & 2 exchanges.  We don't misreport the exchange type and we only charge the higher rate on Market 1 exchanges.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The official Ofcom list (V3, 2010) certainly shows Coningsby is market 2 but Woodhall Spa is market 1. Presumably that will change when they complete their next review.
David