Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manage my Usage

TheArbiter1985
Dabbler

Manage my Usage

Hello, Merry Christmas Smiley
I have just received an email from Plusnet "You've exceeded your usage allowance. We've added some more...". When I go to "Manage my Usage" in Member Centre, I am unable to set a maximum extra monthly spend of £0. My contract renewed in November, prior to which I had already pre-set an extra monthly spend of £0 since I have no qualms about a few days on a basic connection now and then if I go over of my own choice. I had not at any point until now found out nor been informed that this monthly spend option was no longer possible, and accordingly have now been charged £5 against my consent for a service I do not require and which would only last me about four days - ironically three of these four days would not even be useful to me since I will be at work.
Can anyone please explain to me why this change has been effected and I have not been informed? I am not comfortable with being made to pay a token £5 for something I do not want or require, moreso since I was not advised at time of renewal or since, that I am no longer apparently allowed to set a £0 limit. Why is this also, can anyone shed some light? It also basically takes a few kb away from me if that is the case because in future when I was near an arbitrary point before my 10gb Monthly daytime usage I would have to self-throttle then rather than wait until a higher level or use the whole 10gb.
8 REPLIES 8
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Re: Manage my Usage

A change in product, for some reason, unsets your minimum spend. Have you changed recently?
As to why it doesn't work now, well once you've passed it you can't set it to a value lower than currently being used. You'll have to wait until next billing data to set it to £0.
That's RPM to you!!
TheArbiter1985
Dabbler

No, they kept me on the same Essentials service so I have no idea why it's unset it, leaving me out of pocket. >< As for waiting til billing date; while that is 'recommended', when I try to change it the prompt "Please enter an amount that is higher than £5.00." comes up which is the point of concern since I don't want it to autocharge me
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You can set it to £5 now which will prevent any further charges, then, as RPMozley said, after you are next billed you will be able to set it to zero.
There have been several precedent's on here where the cap has been removed without the user's knowledge and the extra charge has been refunded. Let's hope one of the Plusnet CRT sees this and does the right thing.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I can see that you've now set the additional spend so you shouldn't get charged more than the £5 that's already been added. I've also just added a discount to cover the £5 to your account, this means that you won't get charged this amount. Sorry for the problem you've had here.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
TheArbiter1985
Dabbler

Nice person Smiley What a good year I'm having so far! Now I just have to work out how to quit chocolate... Grin
jim:quote
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

How about £5 per bite?  Crazy Or should that be byte?  Grin
That's RPM to you!!
avatastic
Grafter

Or maybe £5 a nibble?
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Remember to change the limit to £0 after your next bill.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.