Did you mean: 

Mail only account options

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Mail only account options

Hi

My vicar, who is also a very dear friend, passed away yesterday following a very short illness.  I suspect he has a mail only account of some kind with Plusnet (he has a Plusnet email address from when he was a customer a number of years ago, but his phone and broadband are elsewhere).  He used his Plusnet email for some of his church activities, and so we ideally need to forward this email elsewhere so another member of the team can take care of that.

I know we will need his account details (username and password) or his wife will need to contact Plusnet to arrange access, but just to pre-empt getting some access I just wanted to check what the options are for mail only accounts?  I've only ever dealt with mail when it is on a broadband account, so I don't know if they differ,  Are you able to use all the "manage my mail" options with mail only accounts?

If so, what would be the best way to achieve what we are after?  Delete the mailbox, then add the same address as a forwarder?

Whilst I'm asking, what is the procedure to take over this account please? I'll probably be best placed to convey this to the family and help them through that stage at an appropriate time.

Many thanks

Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

3 REPLIES 3
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Mail only account options

Hi Phil,

I'm sorry to hear of the circumstances.

If anyone has access to the account details, then logging in and updating manage my mail would be a good option. However keep in mind that if it's a catch-all or default mailbox, these cannot be redirected. The manage my mail feature is the same on broadband and mail only accounts. I'd advise that someone who has account details gets in touch on chat or by phone to discuss what's needed.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Thank you very much Chris,  I'm not sure how he had it set up, but it is only one alias that he used anyway.

If we don't know his password, what info would you need when being contacted?  Obviously we know his username (it's part of his email address), and we know his name.  His address could be one of 3 depending on if he updated it with you when he moved.  His wife would likely be able to give card or bank details (if there was a payment for the account), plus provide death certificate etc...  I'm just thinking of all this so I can give her all the relevant info to make the call/chat as easy as possible on her, when the time comes.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi Phil,

We'd be able to transfer ownership to an immediate family member as long as they can pass data protection. Mind PMing me their username and I'll look into this further?

Cheers

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet