Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MY account is closing apparently.

Cubey
Dabbler

MY account is closing apparently.

Hello
I couple of weeks ago I received this in an email.
'This is a reminder about your recent request to move your phone line and call plan to another company.
We're really sorry to hear you're thinking of leaving us. We're treating this as a request to end your telephone service agreement with us.'
I don't understand why I have been sent that as I don't have a PlusNet phone line.
Then last night I get another email saying
'We have received confirmation that your service has ceased. We would like to thank you for your custom and confirm we'll soon be taking a payment of £69.09 to cover the final outstanding fees held on your Plusnet account. This will leave your bank or building society account on or after 22/11/2013.'
I don't remember canceling anything from Plusnet. The only thing I have that's from PN is broadband. I'm no t happy about 70 quid being taken out of my account either.
Regards
Nathan
12 REPLIES 12
picbits
Rising Star

Re: MY account is closing apparently.

Very strange. It sounds like either some kind of system glitch at Plusnet towers or you may have been "slammed" by another telephone company.
Either way I'd have taken the first email as warning that something was up and queried it with PN. Have you called them to see what might be going on ?
Cubey
Dabbler

I haven't, no. I ignored the first email thinking it was a glitch. Just a system sending out an automated mail to someone but got me instead. But then I got the email last night. I have canceled my phone line from another provider as I am in the process of moving house. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the emails. IF it is then PN really need to reword the emails because they are misleading me. I would call them now but I'm suffering with flu and tonsillitis Sad
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
We received notice that an LLU PSTN cease was happening, it's now completed unfortunately so your broadband service has been ceased by your new phone provider.
Basically, broadband is counted as an asset on a phone line - in a similar kind of way as voicemail, or caller display. As such when a phone line is ceased, so is the broadband. The trouble is, in order to move your phone line over to them, your new provider ceased the existing line (and therefore the broadband) and replaced it with their own.
I'm afraid the cease has gone through and as it's cancelled the service we've had to treat it as a cancellation of your account as well, hence the remaining contract fees have to be charged.
Hope that helps explain.
EDIT: As it's an LLU line we can't actually supply our broadband on it as it's a BT Wholesale product, which only works on BT lines.
Cubey
Dabbler

Ah ok. Thanks. You do really need to change the wording in the emails you send out though. The first one made the impression I had a line with you. The 2nd email doesn't even say anything about a broadband package.it just says service. That could mean anything really.  Sadly I dont get my wages until the end of the month so I'm afraid you will have to wait until then for the remainder.
Nathan
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Quote from: Cubey
I don't remember canceling anything from Plusnet. The only thing I have that's from PN is broadband.

Did your new phone line provider explain clearly to you that they would be replacing (rather than taking over) your existing phone line and thereby you will loose your existing broadband service?  If not, then this is sharp practice - in respect of your broadband (and email) service you have effectively been slammed and you should therefore report this to Ofcom.
Who is your new supplier?
I would also ask PN to switch your account to email only so that you do not loose access to your email as well.  You now have a right bloody mess to sort out.  Some of these LLU operators should be shut down over the way they behave.
Good luck with your new provider - if it is the one I ave in mind, you will need lots of it!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Cubey
Dabbler

I am not getting a new provider. I am moving in with a friend. And thank you so much PlusNet for taking out the 69 quid out of my account today. Even though I said I didn't have it to give until the end of the month. Why or why you couldn't just take it on the normal payment day I don't know. So now I have to pay bank charges. Thanks so much. Up until now I have had nothing but praise for you. But you have blown that with how you have handled all this. I will make sure people know what you do. Once again thanks for making me skint. Fucking cunts. This is that last time I use you for anything. I see that nothing has changed since I left many years ago.
Cubey
Dabbler

New line? LLU? You have really messed up. I had a fine line with a great fiber connection. SO now that I've had to cancel it, you're telling me i cant have it? What? Are you all link:censored in customer support? yyou can ever get your details correct. Idoits. This is one customer that will never be coming back!!!!
Do me proud??? Will you link:censored
adie:red avoidance of swear filter removed and other offensive word.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

To be fair here Cubey, PN have done nothing wrong.
From what I can see:
1) You decided to change providers to a full LLU service.
2) PN informed you what was happening
3) Several weeks later you seek clarification on it.
it would seem that the unnamed provider didn't explain clearly to you what was happening, misled you or perhaps you didn't understand what this implied.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I *think* the LLU reference is a red herring and has perhaps caused some confusion?  In the absence of a clear timeline from the OP it's difficult but it looks like:
1.  The OP decides they're going to move house.
2.  They notify their phone provider (not PN) in order to cancel the phone service at the current property.
3.  The phone cancellation triggers the broadband cancellation process and notification from PN.  The wording  of this notification does not correctly describe the circumstances.
4.  The OP ignores the email and doesn't link it to the phone cease they've initiated from their phone provider.
5.  The description "LLU PSTN Cease" introduces further confusion as LLU is not involved.
It would be useful if the OP could, calmly, describe what they've done and what they wanted to happen?  Did they want to continue with PN at their new property?  Did they notify PN at any stage that they were moving house?
I assume that the notification that PN gets from BTW for a cease makes no distinction as to whether this is caused by a move to LLU or cancellation of the phone service completely as the outcome is the same?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

From the Plusnet Terms and Conditions (my bold)
[quote=http://www.plus.net/info2/legal/index.html#broadband_family]What we provide
[list type=decimal]
  • The service we agree to give you includes:
         1. a high-speed network access to the internet;
         2. helpdesk services; and
         3. other applications and features as described at http://www.plus.net/broadband.
         4. You will need to have a Plusnet or BT telephone line to enable you to receive your Plusnet Broadband service.

• Cubey has (unwittingly) broken the contractual agreement by cancelling the phone service without giving Plusnet any notice. He also ignored the first email from Plusnet when if he'd rung them up to find out what was going on something could have been sorted. I really do struggle to see where Plusnet are at fault in this!
    jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
       Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
    Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
    Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
    Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
    pwatson
    Rising Star
    Fixes: 1

Quote from: jelv
    He also ignored the first email from Plusnet when if he'd rung them up to find out what was going on something could have been sorted. I really do struggle to see where Plusnet are at fault in this!

The point the OP makes in his first post and then clarifies in his second is that the wording of the email he received was incorrect - PN informed him that the telephone service provided by them was ceasing even though they didn't provide such a service. 
    If PN had sent an email saying
    "We have received notification that you have cancelled your phone line and this means that we can no longer provide the broadband you pay us for.  As such we treat this as a cancellation of the broadband agreement you have with us and we'll be in touch shortly to confirm any early termination charges (if any) and disconnetion fees"

then the situation may have been clearer?
    jelv
    Seasoned Hero
    Fixes: 10

The email may not have been clear, but that doesn't excuse him breaking the terms and conditions and it doesn't excuse him ignoring the first email because he didn't understand it. He should have contacted them to find out what was going on!
    jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
       Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
    Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
    Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
    Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)