cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAC code required??

epace

MAC code required??

I switched from Plusnet to Sky on 18th of last month (phoneline and broadband).  According to the Sky website I didn't need to contact Plusnet to inform of the switch as they would do everything for me - all switched over as planned, no problem...
But this week I was informed by email from Plusnet that £12.49 would be coming out of my account.  Upon checking my account on here it showed that I was being billed for broadband (without telephone) for the coming month.  Upon phoning today I was told that I should have got a MAC code to transfer to Sky and I have now been charged the £30 cessation fee, and I should bring up with Sky that I've had to pay this.
So I called Sky, who told me to take it up with Plusnet!  I did receive an email from Plusnet within a few hours of making my Sky order, confirming that my line was going to be changing over, but neither side made any mention of requiring a MAC code. 
Can anyone please help/advise?? 
35 REPLIES 35
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: MAC code required??

A cease fee shouldn't apply if you've been migrated to llu. See this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,131019.0.html

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi epace,
Sorry to hear of the confusion caused during your migration away to SKY. I've asked a colleague in the Billing department to have a look into this and it seems we didn't receive the correct cease code for the broadband which meant that the system assumed that the cessation fee would be applicable. I've just tried to call you but there was no answer, can you send me a PM with a number I can reach you on and I can then discuss this in full with you?
epace

Thanks Linn, I've sent you a PM. Hope to hear from you soon  Smiley
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

and it seems we didn't receive the correct cease code for the broadband
We seem to be getting a few of these Linn. It looks suspicIously like BTw/OR trying to generate extra revenue by charging both the llu operator and the losing ISP for the transfer. The problem is that, to the end user ( and probably to PN ) , it's all 'smoke and mirrors' , only BTw & OR know what's really happening and if they want to use the wrong transfer code , what's to stop them ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi MisterW,
This was slightly different to the others that you're on about, without going into too much detail - in this situation we didn't receive the order for the broadband service to be ceased as part of the transfer. This is more than likely just a system error.
only BTw & OR know what's really happening and if they want to use the wrong transfer code , what's to stop them ?

Ofcom. If there is enough evidence to prove that this is what is happening then Ofcom would have a lot to say about this.
This particular issue has now been resolved with the OP.
epace

Thank you so much for your help with this Linn, I got the refunds that you put through for me in respect of the cessation fee and overpayment for broadband for August.  However I just need some reassurance that the £12.49 that I paid by direct debit this month will be refunded as well, I received an email on the 23rd saying my account will be cancelled on 30 September 2014, but since receipt of that email I have been unable to log in to the member centre to check if there's a credit note for this. 
I hope you or someone else can help me with this!
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi epace,
I'll arrange this refund to be processed for you. As the account is closed down and the Direct Debit instruction is no longer active it'll  have to be refunded in cheque form. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.
Please allow 7-10 days for the cheque to reach you. If you'd like the cheque to be sent to a different address to the one that's on your account please send me a PM with an alternative address and I'll get that updated for you.
epace

Thanks Linn, it's a shame that this wasn't credited back before the account was closed but at least I'm getting it back  Smiley thanks again for you help, much appreciated!
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No problem, sorry it wasn't sorted before the account was closed down. That's really what should've happened so I've fed back on this internally.
Feel free to get in touch on here if you've still not received the cheque in a couple of weeks.
nicnac1810
Dabbler

Hi,
I have the exact same problem.  I switched my phone & broadband over to sky on the 5th sept - today  I have had a bill from plusnet for £9.99 (broadband charge).  Upon calling plusnet to see what this was for I was told that sky never advised them that I was changing over (even though I received an email from plusnet to say they were aware I was changingon the 6th sept).  I was also told I had to pay a cessation fee of £30.
Ive called sky & had a 30min conversation with them & they have told me I need to contact plusnet!
Please help!
nicnac1810
Dabbler

I would really like this looking into please,  I tried most of the day yesterday to get this resolved to no avail. 
Plusnet would not let me speak to a manager/team leader yesterday about this & told me to ask on here! 
Really dont want to have to goto ofcom which is what sky have advised me to
do.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Hi nicnac1810,
Sorry for the confusion here. I can see that we are looking into writing the bill off for you now. The only thing outstanding will be any additional call charges (if necessary).
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
nicnac1810
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply,
does this mean I will get  a reply  or confirmation of  this from someone ??  & can I expext  a refund ?
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Thanks for getting back to me.
I'll pop you an update on Ticket: 92342425.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet