cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAC code from BT - dragging heels

pb123
Dabbler

MAC code from BT - dragging heels

I have just signed up to Plusnet.  I can not progress my order without a MAC code from BT. Even though my account with them is completely up to date, they are quoting 7 - 10 days by email in order to obtain this MAC code to migrate from BT(BT wholesale) To Plusnet(BT wholesale)....  How do I or can I expedite this?
15 REPLIES 15
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: MAC code from BT - dragging heels

Moved here as it is more appropriate
OFCOM rules are that it has to be provided in 5 working days
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

According to Ofcom regulations http://ask.ofcom.org.uk/help/internet-service/MAC , a MAC code MUST be issued with 5 working days.
If they're not meeting that then tell them you will contact Ofcom.
Edit: sorry if I repeated what you said Jim, it advised me there was a new post but didn't show me it!! so I posted anyway. Smiley

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Razorback
Grafter

Phone them ( 0800 800 150.works). Once you are through to the right dept ask for your Mac Code, refuse to answer any questions, just keep asking for your Mac code With me I had to repeat it 3 or 4 times. They can issue the MAC code over the phone you dont have to wait for them to email. Make sure it is in correct format similar to AAAANNNNNNNN/AANNA.
slavo71
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: pb123
I have just signed up to Plusnet.  I can not progress my order without a MAC code from BT. Even though my account with them is completely up to date, they are quoting 7 - 10 days by email in order to obtain this MAC code to migrate from BT(BT wholesale) To Plusnet(BT wholesale)....   How do I or can I expedite this?

I asked BT for my MAC on the 23/8/14 and they said it would take 5 days via email. Five days came and went so I called them, they said that it had been sent!!! I told them that it hadn't so they gave it me over the phone there and then.
AFTER I had used it to sign up with Plusnet they sent it me via email....twice!
Use this number to call them, it's a UK based call centre so you will get it straight away: 01324 452504 (It's there special offers line predominantly, but they'll sort you out). This shows you the area code so you will not get stung for a peak rate number http://www.area-codes.org.uk/01324.php
Razorback
Grafter

Also if they refuse to give the MAC code over the phone, hang up and ring back a few minutes later. You should get someone else who will oblige.
pb123
Dabbler

STAVO71 - you have made my day - i called that number and got the MAC code over the phone within 5 minutes - amazing!!  Thank you to all
slavo71
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

You're welcome, I'm glad my first post was a helpful one  Wink
No T in my name though  Grin
pb123
Dabbler

I spoke too soon.
The MAC code has been rejected by Plusnet saying its expired even though it was only (supposedly) generated yesterday.  I called BT again (01324...) and after much enquiry told me its because "Plusnet have not made an Advice of Transfer to them...." !??  what does this mean - cant get through to Plusnet customer services but thats another story...
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Hi pb123,
Are you ok to PM the MAC key to me? The specification of it should be:
4 letters, 8 numbers, a forward slash, 2 letters, 2 numbers, 1 letter. For example: LLLL12345678/LL90L.
If it's fine or just needs a minor tweak then I may be able to place your order straight away.
Thanks
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
pb123
Dabbler

thanks Matt - have messaged this to you
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Turns out it is an invalid MAC key.
Really sorry to be the bearer of bad news pb123. Chances are you will need to run it past BT again.
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

called BT again (01324...) and after much enquiry told me its because "Plusnet have not made an Advice of Transfer to them...." !??  what does this mean
Sounds like BT are giving you the run around. I would guess that the 'Advice of Transfer' is what gets sent to them (by Btw?) when PlusNet use the MAC. However if the MAC is invalid/expired then they can't use it. MAC codes will expire if not used for 30 days I believe.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pb123
Dabbler

back to BT  "sorry there's nothing we can do - you will get it in 5 days...."  I am driven to despair with these people.
pb123
Dabbler

pressure and stropiness works - all sorted - thank you everyone today