Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M.A.C

FIXED
paulkerr1974
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

M.A.C

Been looking around the plusnet site but cant seem to find any info on getting a M.A.C code to change my isp. Plusnet has gone downhill so much in terms of quality I feel like im still on 512k freeserve nowadays.

Strangely I had zero issues with my 7mbps connection but upgraded to fibre and now ged 3 times that connection speed yet cant play a video without constant buffereing.  Too many customers  on too smal a server and this is what happens. Anyway  a MAC code would be appreciated.

13 REPLIES 13
azc
Rising Star

Re: M.A.C

MAC codes are not used any more for broadband & landline phone service transfers.

Just sign up with your new provider & they will deal with it.

Mav
Fixes: 514

MACs are no longer required and has been that way for some time as switching is now lead by the new provider.

You need to inform your chosen provider that you wish to switch and they will do all the work. Don't cancel with Plusnet as a cease may be placed on your line causing problems with the transfer.

Remember that if you are in contract there may be fees to be paid for leaving early..

Edit: alanc beat me to it.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

paulkerr1974
Dabbler

Cheers for the replies gUys. I only have one month left on contract so I will wait til its up and then move. Thanks again

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

If you've paid your PN bill for the last month of your contract, it might be worth signing up with your chosen new provider 14 days before then end of the contract since it usually takes at least 14 days to switch.  If all runs smoothly (here's hoping) you won't owe PN anything, except perhaps call charges if applicable.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,596

I'm sorry to hear you're thinking about leaving us.

We're happy to investigate any issues you're experiencing. I've tested your line and I can see your router is in sync at 19mbps and we're not seeing the reasons why you're only getting 7mbps.

Are your devices connecting over WiFi or straight to the router using an ethernet cable? -Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
azc
Rising Star

Anoush,

The reference to 7mbps was surely the ADSL speed before upgrading to fibre ?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Apologies I misread the post.
Either way I didn’t detect any issues so it would be good to know if they’re connecting over WiFi or using an ethernet connection.
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
paulkerr1974
Dabbler

Using both, mainly wireless but re connected my ethernet cable whilst troubleshooting. The speed has been consistently 26mbps since upgrading to fibre but the last week or so has been around the 17mbps  area and eithe way the buffering on streams etc all started after I upgraded to Fibre which of course makes no sense since I apparently have almost 4 times the speed as I did before. I have checked everything from this side and there is no reason why this should happen.  I have been happy with PN up til now and I kinda wish I stayed with my ADSL connection which makes no sense as an isp engineer im sure you alredy know.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Changing ISP's may make no difference to your internet experience.

First of all, what speeds should you expect by looking at the DSL Checker?

What speeds are reported on the Help Desk page on your router? Make sure you hide any personal info such as user name and password.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Our tests are showing that your router is in sync at 19mbps so the speed of 17mbps you're getting is right on target.

I can see you were getting around 26mbps previously. Whilst testing your line isn't finding the reason why your speeds have dropped, it's possible it's due to cross talk. This is basically interference from other connections in the cabinet.

As the speeds you're currently getting rest within the estimates that our suppliers hold for your line, there isn't much we can do to investigate further. If you haven't already, I'd make sure your router is plugged into the test socket.

This will eliminate internal wiring and minimise the distance your broadband signal has to travel.

With regards to the issues whilst streaming, may I ask which sites you're noticing this on? Also, do you experience speed problems whilst doing anything else on the web other than streaming?

This information will really help us in trying to figure out where the issue could lie.

-Anoush

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
paulkerr1974
Dabbler

All sites! Youtube, ITV player and 4OD etc etc This is not a case of me getting 17mbps bandwidth with the odd fluky time I have been lucky enough to recieve 26mbps. This is most definitely a case of a change in the service which has happened in the past few weeks. Not to be rude but IT is my business and I have been fixing customers pc's laptops etc as my job since a long time before plusnet broadband was in existence and I know when I am getting a different product from the product I originally started with. Now it may be the case that you guys just have to come on these boards and read help costomers through whatever flowchart your bosses have provided you with but Im afraid I will be leaving this service at the end of the week. Many thanks P.Kerr (IT Consultant)

azc
Rising Star

It's Friday & the end of the week, so Bye-Bye.

paulkerr1974
Dabbler

Fix

Oh Alanc how very hurtful of you. However will I get over such a comment from such a shill. Away and get yerself a life and stop lurking on forums looking for acceptance. Fud.