Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to change supplier

cappy1961
Dabbler

Looking to change supplier

Hi All,

I am  out of contract with Plusnet and currently paying £37.98 a month for Fibre pro and phone line (we never use the line for calls) and i'm looking at my options for getting a better deal either with or without Plusnet. If i decide to go with another supplier do i have to cancel (phone or written) directly with plusnet and give any formal notice?.. or can the new supplier do this???. . The reason i ask is i had a bit of a mare originally moving from Sky to plusnet in the beginning.

Thanks in advance

Andy

6 REPLIES 6
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: Looking to change supplier

Well, here's a question for you: how long is a piece of string?

Some forum users (possibly ex PN customers) will say that PN are the work of the devil and their supplied router should be doused in petrol and set alight or better still doused in petrol, set alight and then buried in an unmarked grave!!

Others may say call PN, go to the thinking of leaving option, speak to retention's and see what deal is on the cards - but yeah I know, it means picking up that odd thing in the corner of the room that randomly rings from time to time (as we as a society tend to do almost everything online nowadays).

Some may also say, check a few sites out to give you an idea of what other ISP's are offering, but possibly take a few quid off if you again pick up that weird large mobile phone type thing that either has a cord or not and call them, agree and accept their T&C's or then call PN retention's with a "look 'ere, Freddy Fast Fibre can do it for this, can you match it or I'm outta here" (or words similar)

Should you decide to leave, call you new ISP first, do the deal, then call PN to say that you're giving notice, that you are leaving and your new ISP will sort everything out - don't cancel it first and call your new ISP as you'll be in a world of pain. If you can, try and work it so you're almost due to pay the next months bill (as we pay in advance and there would be a delay in getting your money back)

FWIW, I moved from Sky to PN as PN were offering the best deal for all three (phone, fibre and TV) when we were looking around.

(answer to the above question = twice from the middle to one end, if you were wondering;))

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@cappy1961

If you go to another supplier, there is absolutely no need for you to contact Plusnet. The new supplier is legally responsible to sort out the transfer away (under OFCOM regulations).

In fact calling your current supplier to say you are leaving is one of the biggest issues in the failure of a clean transfer. Just don't do it.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

I should have pointed out why I suggested calling them Embarrassed

I called Sky to say I was giving notice for all of their products and services and leaving, but I didn't say how much notice I was giving them or when I would be leaving (as this was going to be sorted by my new ISP (PN)). I asked for clarification regarding how much notice certain products or services need because even though I was out of contract for Phone, BB, and TV, I found out that the TV has a 30 day cancellation period.

Therefore

• if I didn't call them, possibly jumped ship at the wrong time, I could have left Sky, came to PN and then found I had a bill reminder land on my door mat for the TV from Sky (for the remainder of the 30 day TV contract).
  • if I moved everything to PN a few days into my billing month, they would refund the BB and phone, but keep the money for the TV.

I then asked Sky that if I pull the plug on the TV (as they know when we're watching it or not) when I switch to PN will they refund the difference - they said no to the TV but yes they would refund the money owed back to me for the BB and phone.

So in my case, I asked at the right time, joined PN and worked it so my 30 days notice to cancel the TV left me with 7 days extra viewing.

I will do the same when I leave PN in 17 months time, more so to check if their TV is also on a 30 day contract.

cappy1961
Dabbler

Thanks for your input.  i will do as you recommended, I will just leave it to the new supplier i think.

cappy1961
Dabbler

Thanks for your insight and input. 

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hi there @cappy1961

I am sorry to hear you are looking to leave us. If you would like to contemplate remaining with us, I'd advise calling us on 0800 013 2632 (Selecting option 1, then option 2).

Opening Times:
08:00 - 20:00 Monday to Friday
09:00 - 19:00 Saturday
09:00 - 18:00 Sundays

The call will be routed to Customer Options, where there is usually either no call queue or very little wait.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button