Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking Ahead To Saying Goodbye to Plusnet

cooldude50
Rising Star

Looking Ahead To Saying Goodbye to Plusnet

1 Months notice if i plan to merely cancel Plusnet Service

If I switch to another Broadband provider I guessing 1 Months notice is not required

Does anyone know when ordering a service from elsewhere with view from switching from Plusnet is there a maximum time period following order date that new service/switch date has to be taken by.

e.g Plusnet contract expires on 1st/2nd June Im guessing,  if BT are offering say 200.00 reward card plus say 150 via Quidco offers expiring end of April or 6th May could a changeover date by given as far ahead as for 1st/2nd June.

Broadband Cessation fee - Would that be charged on a switch/changeover to BT Infinity?

19/05/2016

N/A

Line Only

£0(monthly)

Active

02/06/2016

-

Unlimited Broadband

£6.18(upon cancellation)

Complete

I ordered  Line and Unlimited Broadband at the same time, paid upfront for 12 months, needed the line for the Broadband, in fact didnt need or want the line for any other purpose e.g didnt want to make/receive any phone calls

Will I have to pay 2 weeks additional line rental due to Plusnet not having the apparent ability to synchronize Broadband going live date same as Line went live.

Reason I use the phrase "apparent ability" is that when I ordered through Origin Broadband, new phone line, line and unlimited broadband, all went live on same day, router was posted out before new line installation whereas Plusnet didnt post out router until after new line was installed. ( OpenReach engineer said at the time he never known someone have to wait two weeks for Broadband to go live after line had  been installed, should have been available very soon after his work was completed

If i am required to pay Plusnet additional line rental for 2 weeks ish bearing in mind the above how could that be considered fair?

Hi.......

Brilliant news! You're one step closer to getting your Origin Broadband Connection installed.

Broadband Appointment:

An Openreach engineer will carry out your broadband installation and has been booked for 31/10/2016.

Phoneline Appointment:

Your phoneline will also be installed by an Openreach engineer on 31/10/2016 between 08:00 and 13:00. Please make sure that someone is on site to allow the engineer access.

Keep your eye on the post as a new router is on it's way! If you haven't received your router 48 hours prior to your installation dates please give us a call.

15 REPLIES 15
Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Looking Ahead To Saying Goodbye to Plusnet

If PN will charge you £6.18 for leaving early and BT will give you £350 if you sign up with them before your PN contract expires, it seems like a no-brainer to me.  Bear in mind that prepaid annual line rental is non-refundable.

The migration process has to take a minimum of two weeks in order to prevent someone migrating you by mistake, or maliciously (aka slamming).  See http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/05/a-guide-to-switching-uk-broadband-and-phone-provider-af...

I doubt BT will accept you as a customer and give you the freebies, but not benefit directly from your custom for a couple of months.  By all means ask them, and let us know what they say.

cooldude50
Rising Star

Can someone answer what the maximum time is likely to be from any experiences please/Plusnet own policy

"Does anyone know when ordering a service from elsewhere with view from switching from Plusnet is there a maximum time period following order date that new service/switch date has to be taken by"

"Broadband Cessation fee - Would that be charged on a switch/changeover to BT Infinity?"

"I ordered  Line and Unlimited Broadband at the same time, paid upfront for 12 months, needed the line for the Broadband, in fact didnt need or want the line for any other purpose e.g didnt want to make/receive any phone calls"

"Will I have to pay 2 weeks additional line rental due to Plusnet not having the apparent ability to synchronize Broadband going live date same as Line went live."

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@cooldude50

When you switch, it is the new supplier who dictates the timescale, not Plusnet. So the new supplier (in your case BT Consumer) controls everything. The minimum is legally defined as 14 days under OFCOM rules to minimise line slamming (moving phone lines to another provider without permission)

The Broadband Cessation Fee would be charged as it is the remainder of the funds due (at a discounted rate) for the initial fixed term of your contract. 

And yes if your contract is still with Plusnet then you would be required to pay for the extra weeks of line rental.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
cooldude50
Rising Star

https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/faqs/general/#moving-time

No 5 - "If an engineer is required to install your phone your Broadband will usually be switched on the same day as the installation"

Plusnet didnt even send the router out prior to phone line being installed, delaying Broadband activation for 2 weeks appears to mean pending a complaint Plusnet gain 2 weeks extra line rental when the customer leaves Plusnet

cooldude50
Rising Star

Ive had a support ticket reply thus dont appear to require any further Plusnet confirmation regarding the topic I was posting about

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

What were you posting about as your previous posts in this thread do not make much sense to me?

As @SpendLessTime said previously "When you switch, it is the new supplier who dictates the timescale, not Plusnet. So the new supplier (in your case BT Consumer) controls everything. The minimum is legally defined as 14 days under OFCOM rules to minimise line slamming (moving phone lines to another provider without permission)"

Can you enlighten us as to what this latest support ticket tells you?

cooldude50
Rising Star

Thank you for your time on the phone.

As per our conversation, there would not be a cessation charge if you left unless you are going to Virgin or not taking out another service provider.

Please note that I didnt phone specifically about cessation charge, however answer I have been given makes it more likely that I will switch to another provider other than Virgin,.

House I am in already has another internet connection thus merely cancelling Plusnet services and awaiting best possible new customer BT Infinity incentive offer was a consideration in my thoughts.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there @cooldude50 first of all I am sorry that your thread hasn't been touched by staff, and also to hear you're thinking of leaving us. May I ask why and if there's anything I can do to help to keep you as a customer?

I've also noticed that the details you've been provided about the possible cessation charge is not entirely correct. The fee can also be applied if the service is migrated to LLU providers such as and not limited to Sky and TalkTalk. More information can be found here: https://www.plus.net/help/my-account/charges-for-removing-broadband/

As above, if there's absolutely anything I can help with please feel free to let me know.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero

@cooldude50 You should be aware that if you cancel your PlusNet service rather than migrating to another provider you will have to pay a cessation charge. I think it's around £30.

cooldude50
Rising Star

@ Gandalf

Ty 4 your interest.

In March I received this offer "So for the first 6 months when your contract ends, you'll only pay £2.50 a month for your broadband, plus any line rental charges"

I am the change provider every 12 months type for Quidco/TCB cashback so no likelyhood of me staying with Plusnet particularly as I have a second phone line/internet connection

Purpose for Monday Phonecall was to get confirmed if I were to cease Broadband services completely on Plusnet line whether notice period is 14 days or 30 Days and whether the notice relates to Phone contract end of 2nd June or Broadband 9th June

Plusnet do waive the cessation fee in some circumstances ( most non BT owned providers dont charge customers the fee)

I believe that it is a reasonable expectation in the event that I switch providers to anyone other than Virgin that the phone call response which was confirmed to me in writing is honoured.

TIA

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Sorry to hear you're leaving. Just to confirm, the cessation fee will be applicable if any of the instances detailed in the above link are met. I apologise that you were incorrectly advised over the phone and I'll be passing on feedback regarding that.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero

@cooldude50 Your posts are still not making much sense! Perhaps someone else can translate them for me.

cooldude50
Rising Star

"Your posts are still not making much sense! Perhaps someone else can translate them for me"

Maybe you shud stay off the Ale ...........Wink

PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

@RealAleMadrid  You're obviously "old school", so don't understand the "new English" that underlies the current pictogram system - cf Youview/windows 10 etc Crazy

Phil

Note the absence of any reference to teaching English as it appears that is no longer part of the curriculum., especially in English schools (which have generally been below the standard of Sottish/Welsh schools for 50+ years in my experience) Shocked

Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.