Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Little old lady needs help

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Little old lady needs help

A neighbour I referred to Plusnet is moving house.  Although she is only moving a few miles she will be on another telephone exchange so cannot take her telephone number with her and she does not yet know what her new number will be.  She tells me she has informed Plusnet of the move and wants to remain a Plusnet client but has been perturbed by a 'We're sorry your leaving' email from Plusnet.  That date at which the email says she is leaving is the date of the move.  I suspect the confusion has arisen because her telephone number is leaving Plusnet although she is not (or does not wish to).  What, if anything, should she do about this?  
Edited to change title
5 REPLIES 5
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Little old lady needs help

What, if anything, should she do about this? 

I'd like to be able to see the account before advising, do you have their username?
Feel free to PM it over if you do.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Thanks for picking this up, Adam.  I have sent you a PM as requested.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

No worries, just picked that up.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Thanks, Adam; my neighbours says you called and were able to assure her that everything would be okay.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Everything was NOT okay.  As a result of a call from Plusnet my neighbour was persuaded to transfer her telephone service to Plusnet.  Some confusion arose and the Plusnet representative (not Adam, it seems) got it into his head that her new property needed a phone line installed, which was not the case.  So a week after my (now former) neighbour moved in, Openreach came along and changed the telephone number.
I visited my ex-neighbour yesterday and she told me that she got a call from BT, her former telephone provider. They seem to regard the change as a cancellation without the proper notice rather than a transfer of service, presumably because Plusnet did not follow the correct procedure.  She thinks she is to face a final non-refundable charge from BT of £90 although the bill has yet to arrive.
This is an elderly widow who has lead a sheltered life so I'm not certain that she always fully-understands what she has been told or gives the correct answer when questioned.  For example, she had previously assured me that she used the built-in answering machine on her telephone but on my last visit it turned out she had been using a 1571 service and was unaware of the 8 messages now held on her telephone.  The fact that she did not know what her telephone number would be after the move seems to have been misinterpreted into 'no telephone line at the new property'.  I visited her the day after she moved in and we only found out what her then telephone number was because a friend had phoned the old number and got a 'number changed' message.  I sensed that indicated something had gone wrong and I have been trying to keep Adam Walker in touch by PM but in my opinion he has shown little interest.
I have asked my neighbour to contact me when BT's final bill arrives so I can be completely clear about what their problem is.  Meanwhile maybe somebody from Plusnet can listen to the tape recording of the conversation when she was sold Plusnet's telephone service and find out exactly what was said.