Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line rental saver renewal

FIXED
HLT
Hooked

Line rental saver renewal

Hi,

Grateful to anyone who can give me some confirmation on this as it's not very clear on the Plusnet website!

Would like to renew my line saver rental, which is due to expire soon, but not sure if this would include broadband too? Or is it just for the phone line and I'd have to pay for a broadband contract in addition to this?

Thanks in advance

18 REPLIES 18
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Line rental saver renewal

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to Accounts / Billing.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
jgb
Champion
Fixes: 22

@HLT 

The current price of LRS is £209.88 (previously £197.88 which will still apply if you are in a fixed price contract which started before the price increases on 3 December 2019). If either of those are the prices you are seeing then broadband and any call plans are in addition to those prices.

LRS renewal is usually just that alone with no broadband or call plan or other phone extras.

HLT
Hooked

Thanks for the quick response @jgb ! Then no point in renewing the line rental saver if broadband and line rental is £17.99 per month.....

Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

@HLT  welcome to the forum.

You pay for broadband and calls separately. Plusnet simply reduce the bill for the agreed combined phone line and broadband cost by the line charge of £19.99 per month.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Baldrick1

@HLT 

Be very careful! I am very suspicious of this figure and you should look at it very carefully.

Is this a headline figure for broadband only and the line charge is on top of this?

What exactly is the offer that you have had and for what?

Moderator and Customer

jgb
Champion

@HLT 

The Plusnet systems can be a bit confusing as they do not always show discounts currently in place which will continue after renewing LRS etc. 

What broadband do you currently have - ADSL or Fibre or Fibre Extra? What call plans do you have if any? Are you in fixed term contract or out of contract on a monthly rolling contract? The answers to those questions might explain the cost you are quoting. 

LRS offers a discount of £2.50 per month over the annual cost of monthly line rental payments. Therefore it is worthwhile unless you intend to move to another ISP.

HLT
Hooked

@Baldrick1 

Thanks, will double check!

HLT
Hooked

@jgb 

I currently have ADSL broadband. I have a 12 month contract that is due to end on 12 April, hence the reason I'm looking into it in case it's better to switch! I paid £197.88 for the line rental saver last year and nothing for broadband. The deal didn't include any call plans.

when I visited My Account a couple of days ago it seemed to give me an offer of £17.99 for a further year. I assumed this was for line rental and broadband but will need to double check this. If it's not then it would definitely be cheaper to switch! 

Have tried phoning to get clarity but theyre not taking calls....

jgb
Champion

@HLT 

As you say you will need to check so hopefully you can get someone in Plusnet to clarify.

I do suspect that the £17.99 offer is the monthly sum for ADSL including monthly line rental under anew contract.  If so LRS would only give you a lesser saving.

As I said I hope you can check.

Baldrick1

What makes me so suspicious is that this is £2 per month less than the current Special Offer to attract new customers. Great if it's real! 

The following screen grab shows how confusing Plusnet can make it:

PN price.png

Note the attractive prices then note the Header 'Unlimited Broadband', also note that there is no mention of the Line Rental of £19.99, which has to be added to these prices.

Moderator and Customer

HLT
Hooked

Right, so I've checked where I'd seen all the information! You're correct, I mixed up what I'd seen for new customers on moneysavingexpert which has a deal for £17.99 per month for broadband and line rental for a 12 month contract and the following, which is copied from a renewal email I received from Plusnet....

Our best price - get the same great deal as new customers
Get fixed price Unlimited and line rental for just £19.99 a month. 18 month contract.

Fixed priced means you're guaranteed no price rises on your broadband or line rental for your entire contract.

The price above includes line rental. This price will be reduced by £19.99 a month until your line rental saver expires, at which point you will pay the additional £19.99 a month or you may choose to retake line rental saver to continue saving on your line rental. We will contact you 60 days before your line rental saver expiry date.

Not great wording!

under normal circumstances I'd give them a call to see if they can match it, given that they say 'get the same great deal as new customers'.....

Baldrick1

@HLT 

So as I read it your broadband is free and if you have/take LRS you effectively pay £17.49 for phone and broadband, that's 50p a month less than the other offer.

If you look around this forum at all the problems people are having switching at the current time I would not consider it at the present time unless I could manage without broadband and the saving was significant.

Moderator and Customer

jgb
Champion

Fix

@HLT 

Plusnet's price for new customers on their own website is £19.99. The £17.99 price is a deal unique to the particular broker, moneysupermarket. 

If you do decide to renew your contract, and if you need to renew your LRS before your next billing date, you should do that before taking up the new contract (a matter of a few minutes before should be enough) as, once you have set in motion the implementation of the new contract, Plusnet's systems will not allow LRS to be renewed (the system can only cope with one change at a time and the new contract will not complete until your next billing date whereas the LRS renewal completes almost instantly).

jgb
Champion

@HLT 

To clarify, I should have said that the LRS renewal process completes almost instantly but the new LRS period starts at the end of the current one - i.e. you do not "lose" any LRS.