Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line Speed

devvzje
Dabbler

Line Speed

Hello,
I am currently  a new customer with plusnet, I ordered it a few days ago and just got my order confirmed and the engineer is coming out at the end of the month which is excellent.
But I was just wondering, when I was checking my line speed which I was able to get before ordering I was told "27meg" but after having my order confirmed I read the following line in an email,
We are currently unable to check the estimated speed of your line. The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use.

Now, I was wondering if this would be in and around 27meg or do plusnet actually have no idea what so ever what I will get.
Thanks,
Stephen
7 REPLIES 7
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Line Speed

At the moment unfortunately we're not able to give an estimate, as it's a new phone line install and the broadband isn't provided yet (you can see this in the BT checker here: http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome).
Basically as it's a fibre line it depends how far you are from the green box and how good the wiring is between there and your premises, but as it's a fibre install I think 27Mb is not unreasonable - though as ever with estimates we can't offer any guarantees I'm afraid.
devvzje
Dabbler

Quote from: Matt
At the moment unfortunately we're not able to give an estimate, as it's a new phone line install and the broadband isn't provided yet (you can see this in the BT checker here: http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome).
Basically as it's a fibre line it depends how far you are from the green box and how good the wiring is between there and your premises, but as it's a fibre install I think 27Mb is not unreasonable - though as ever with estimates we can't offer any guarantees I'm afraid.

Oh 27mb is a really amazing upgrade cosidering im on adsl 1.1meg , I was just wondering will the actual speed I get be as slow as my adsl? Or close to what I got qoated which was 27meg.
Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial check on your postcode indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 1Mbps. However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.
Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 1.5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1Mbps and 2.5Mbps.
Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 2Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1Mbps and 3.5Mbps.

That is what the checker said, but im guessing thats completely different for fibre optic line speed?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: devvzje
Oh 27mb is a really amazing upgrade cosidering im on adsl 1.1meg , I was just wondering will the actual speed I get be as slow as my adsl? Or close to what I got qoated which was 27meg.

As it's a fibre order, almost certainly closer to 27Mb.
Quote from: devvzje
That is what the checker said, but im guessing thats completely different for fibre optic line speed?

Yes - ADSL and ADSL2 both run on copper wires from the exchange to your premises whereas FTTC (fibre to the cabinet) is as it sounds - optical fibre to the green box most likely on your street, and then copper from there. Copper wires can degrade the signal, and judging by the speeds you mention you're a fair way from the exchange hence the speeds you're getting at the moment on ADSL. With fibre taking up most of that distance that removes a lot of the interference and will result in a much faster speed.
Hope that helps,
devvzje
Dabbler

Thanks Matt, nice quick to the point information. Much appreciated.
As you can see from my really SLOW internet at the moment I am quite excited about getting some decent internet speeds up at home. Fingers crossed.
Smiley
jim:quote
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi devvzje,
I've set a reminder on your order to check it on the due date. Hope it all goes to plan Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
devvzje
Dabbler

Awesome thanks, router arrived today! EXCITED.
dick:quote
plscott
Dabbler

When I download stuff (films, videos etc) I get up to 800 kbs/sec which, compared to my old dongle device on the 3 network (100kb/s if lucky) is phenomenally fast!  But 27mb/s??  Unbelievanle!!!!