Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line Rental Saver to be discontinued from 22 Feb 2021

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Line Rental Saver to be discontinued from 22 Feb 2021

Apologies if this has already been announced.  I couldn't see any similar post.

A relative received an open ticket on their account with this message.

We’re just getting in touch to remind you that your Line Rental Saver expires soon. If you’d like to renew yours, then you’ll need to do so before 22/02/21, as after that date we’ll no longer offer this option. You can renew at www.plus.net/rentalsaver/ until 21/02/21. You can check all your account details online at plus.net/member-centre That’s all for now and thank you for being with Plusnet.

Kind regards,

Plusnet Support

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
15 REPLIES 15
Bogbody
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Line Rental Saver to be discontinued from 22 Feb 2021

Oh? Why?
PowerLee
Pro
Fixes: 2

I had the same email today - unfortunately the link included doesn't allow you to renew it.

It just says you already have an active line rental saver.
daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 10

@Bogbody 

Here is a hint:

Five Pound Note Stock Photos and Pictures | Getty Images

Tags (1)
christucker
Hooked

Terribly disappointing news and this results in a significant monthly increase for customers.

I assume that customers will be now be able to leave their contracts penalty-free seeing as many loyal customers agreed to long contract periods with the intention of using Line Rental Saver.

Plusnet - at the very least - why not allow customers with existing long contracts to extend their Line Rental Savers beyond the 12 month period to the end of their broadband contracts?

As usual loyalty does not pay, but the good news is that customers should be able to move another provider penalty-free.

What's very concerning though, is the end date is in 3 days time yet I see no official announcement whatsoever?!

Did Plusnet hope they could sneak this one in without anyone noticing? Obviously they realised that people would be able to leave penalty free and don't want to publicise this.

Can we get an official announcement please, Plusnet?

pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Another peice of plusnet dies a death, there wont be many bits left soon, next to go referals? webspace? email? UK call centre and customer support?

being able to haggle a good deal and add LRS was one of the reasons why ive been happy to stay with plusnet since May 2004, its certainly not the same place as it was then

Bogbody
Aspiring Pro

Thrall
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 23

@Bogbody that article was almost a year ago? I imagine things can change in time

pjr1969

The LRS portal confirms its demise...

https://www.plus.net/apps/linerental/saver/portal 

Bogbody
Aspiring Pro

Its an OFCOM thing aparently.
Now ... with BT converting to FTTP/IP phones ... and PlusNet not offering an FTTP product .... how long have Plusnet got as a viable company? 5 years Huh
Stoker
Rising Star

I paid £213 for LRS mid-January but due to the flakey billing system it's just been added to my credit balance, and PlusNet still don't seem able to fix my account.

jgb
Champion
Fixes: 22

@Stoker  This has happened to me twice in successive years.

The first time Plusnet corrected it after three months taking the three months charges at the same time and then things ran as they should.

The second time they were unable to sort it (there were other billing issues on my account) and I am running down that large credit balance effectively getting free broadband. This coming month will be the first time my direct debit will be needed in more than a year!

In both cases the LRS did renew and no monthly line rental charges appeared on my bills.

However, my most recent LRS payment was correctly applied with the LRS credit and a corresponding debit appearing on the first monthly bill after the payment was made.

Given my experiences with LRS and the many other issues reported on these forums, I am not surprised that Plusnet have decided to dispense with LRS (as have many other telecoms providers that used to offer such a facility).

Hope you get yours sorted to your satisfaction!

christucker
Hooked

This has now been reported in the press:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2021/02/plusnet-line-rental-saver-axe-price-hike/

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2021/02/isp-plusnet-scraps-pre-paid-uk-line-rental-saver-disco...

Still no official announcement, Plusnet - when will you be informing your loyal customers, please?

pint
Aspiring Pro

I've noticed that origin doa pay 12 months up front deal

pje16

WHY
they just want to get more money from us
I have ALWAYS paid up front for a year (I started with BT and had done the same with Plusnet)
This announcement is very disappointing