Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line Rental Saver refund if terminating early

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Line Rental Saver refund if terminating early

A question that is probably on many peoples lips that read threads like this.

Are those that left because of the price rise pro-actively checked to make sure that things were done properly and the correct refunds made?

As is often said those that post on the forum are only a tiny percentage of the actual plusnet customer base.

So those complaining of the lack of refunds here would only be the tip of a very large iceberg.

In this situation would that make plusnet the Titanic?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

The SUs asked for clarification on this matter.

If exiting DUE TO THE PRICE RISE it is essential that the user contacts COTS to advise that they have an inclination to do so.  This will set a marker on their account.  If they do not, then the migration is likely to be treated as a BAU event, rather than an exit under the price change rights.

If there is outstanding LRS, having notified COTS, if the user does migrate, the residual balance of LRS should then be refunded.

As is often said those that post on the forum are only a tiny percentage of the actual Plusnet customer base.

So those complaining of the lack of refunds here would only be the tip of a very large iceberg.

Conversely for the many more for whom the process works without issue … we never hear from them!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

billnotben
Community Veteran

@Townman wrote:

If exiting DUE TO THE PRICE RISE it is essential that the user contacts COTS to advise that they have an inclination to do so.

That would account for a percentage of the mistakes. As I would assume that many customers wouldn't know that. They won't see a web page with that clearly stated on and they won't get asked the million dollar question of are you leaving because.......... Which all seems a bit backwards to me.
I also doubt that many, if any, plusnet customers get asked that when enquiring about leaving as many of the plusnet phone operators don't seen to be in possession of the facts themselves. Which they certainly should be during a price rise event.

Like I said a bit backwards to put all the onus on the customer for plusnet to get the job done right. And even when this is done many still go very wrong.

It seems to me that there is some very necessary "layer" missing in the leaving process that should catch this out. Something that would also steer those administering the process in the correct direction.

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

from the pricing refresh email

=If, as a result of the changes in this email, you decided to terminate your affected service(s), you may do so without incurring any early termination charges that may otherwise be payable. If you wish to exercise this right you must contact us within 30 days of receiving this notification and give us 14 days’ notice. You will still be liable for service charges up to the date of termination.

I feel that's crystal clear, call or chat or write to us and tell us why your leaving and we'll remove your contract and ensure you leave free of charge without penalty.

@billnotben wrote:

Like I said a bit backwards to put all the onus on the customer for plusnet to get the job done right. And even when this is done many still go very wrong.

Is it though? the agreement that we have with the customer is that we'll provide X service at X price for X months and if you cancel early you'll pay Y per month remaining. That's the standard arrangement.

As we've changed the prices of some of our products there is a 30 day window to leave without paying early termination charges all we ask is that you tell us that is why you're leaving... 

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
billnotben
Community Veteran

@JonoH wrote:

from the pricing refresh email

=If, as a result of the changes in this email, you decided to terminate your affected service(s), you may do so without incurring any early termination charges that may otherwise be payable. If you wish to exercise this right you must contact us within 30 days of receiving this notification and give us 14 days’ notice. You will still be liable for service charges up to the date of termination.

I feel that's crystal clear, call or chat or write to us and tell us why your leaving and we'll remove your contract and ensure you leave free of charge without penalty.

That has been shown to be not even crystal clear to your own staff, time and time again, so I don't see how you assume that it's crystal clear to the customer.

JonoH
Hero

@billnotben wrote:

That has been shown to be not even crystal clear to your own staff, time and time again, so I don't see how you assume that it's crystal clear to the customer.

No, we're getting that part right, our agents understand that customers have the right to cancel following this notification

The parts where this sometimes goes wrong (and we're talking tiny numbers here) is where an agent makes a genuine mistake and forgets to remove the contract  do we actually incorrectly charge them, but we're only human and we're never going to get it right every time. Thousands of people will have left due to the pricing refresh and I've only seen one post saying it went smoothly and as expected. People don't usually come here to say well done. 

The part we're not getting right as often as we'd like is we're not refunding LRS. I've no idea why this has fallen down so often and we've provided extra training to the call centre to help fix this issue and again I urge any customer who's had difficulty getting there LRS refunded who's left because of the pricing refresh to contact me and I'll sort it personally. 

Jono H
maranello
Pro

Given the problems caused by allowing customers to end their contract penalty free (of which there are numerous examples on the forum), would it not be a better approach to inform customers of the price increase, but allow them to continue with their contract until it expires without imposing any price increase until the end of the contract period?

As you have stated, thousands of people have left due to the pricing refresh, who might otherwise remain as customers and re-contract when the time comes.

My other car isn't a Ferrari
JonoH
Hero

@maranello wrote:

would it not be a better approach to inform customers of the price increase, but allow them to continue with their contract until it expires without imposing any price increase until the end of the contract period?.

Good suggestion, I had the same thought myself Wink this is something I've already raised internally so let's see what happens.

off topic @maranello you able to update that email thread yet? 

Jono H
maranello
Pro

@JonoH wrote:

off topic @maranello you able to update that email thread yet? 

Thanks for the prompt/reminder, I have updated the thread

My other car isn't a Ferrari
Bertwilson100
Hooked

Hi Anoush

Thankfully I have received some money back for my LRS. However, I was told I would be receiving £171.84 and I have actually received £139.70.
Please could you explain the discrepancy?

Kind regards

Rob
Bertwilson100
Hooked

Sorry - correction - it was £171.42
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Have you looked at your invoice?
Have you got final phone call charges?
Who have you moved to - Sky or Talk Talk? Either would give rise to a service cease charge of £30.
Was the cease date later than that anticipated when the LRS refund was estimated?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Bertwilson100
Hooked

Hello Townman

I’ve not received an invoice - should it come via post?
Moved to Virgin.
Cease date as far as I know was when agreed.

Any idea?

Rob
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi Rob,

I've had a look into this for you and after re-working our what amount was due back to you I can confirm the initial £171.42  you were quoted was worked out incorrectly and for this I apologise. The ticket on your account which still can be accessed here:
https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=175396626
Shows the accurate working our of refund due back to you and the difference between this and what you've received is explained by the need of a £30 cease fee as previously suggested due to the need for the line to be ceased upon leaving to a provider off the BT network.

I hope this explains the amount you've received and if there's anything else we can help with please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Bertwilson100
Hooked

Hi

Thanks for the quick response. I can't get the ticket link you included to work, is it still live?

Also nobody ever mentioned a cease fee until today.

Rob