cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limits and notification

Rikaitch
Grafter

Limits and notification

Last night I had one of my referees phone me. She's never had broadband before and has been really pleased with the past month, but suddenly it got very slow and she had an email saying she'd gone over her limit. Remarkably she's out during the day, and does no P2P or anything else expecting high bandwidth usage, so I recommend option 1. She's since averaged about 40Mb a day since she had it, and not surprisingly after 3 weeks hit her 1Gb limit. She was annoyed to say the least, and I have now talked her into paying for 2Gb instead of 1, but if she'd had a warning she was at 80% or 90% she would have realised the boat was being pushed out and calmed down. Instead she has a few days of running at 128k, something she suddenly feels is very slow and unusable. I'd like to know if Mark/Neil or anyone else has any comments?
7 REPLIES 7
James
Grafter

Re: Limits and notification

Hi there,
It's certainly a good idea Smiley
I can't believe that we haven't discussed this before, so I'll pop along to speak to the Product Team and we'll see what they have to say.
Mark
Grafter

Hi Rik.
Certainly is a good idea and like James I am amazed that we arent doing this already.
We'll pick this up and see what needs to be done to make it happen.
Thanks for flagging it.

James
Grafter

Hi there,
The Product Team have a nice little tool whjich they used to prioritise work based on multiple criteria.
I'll get it placed in there and we'll discuss it in our Friday meeting Smiley
pcoventry76
Grafter

Excellent thankyou James,Mark & Rick for flagging it up
I had my over usage notification 10 hours after i was restricted, and this was then into my new billing period
I'm hoping this would be easy to do, especially as the ellacoyas update frequently
Simon_M
Grafter

Funnily enough I was talking to a Pipex 1GB customer last night & as a result I can tell you that they send emails at 80% & 90%, followed by (in this particular case) notification that an extra 3GB  had been added at a cost of £2.70.
Note also that if the extra is not used in that month, it is rolled over to the next month. It's not clear from the email if it keeps rolling forwards, or just for 1 month.
Like everyone else, I am a little surprised this is not happening already.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: spraxyt
From PUGIT Comment topic on the Usergroup site here.
Item 372 - Send Alert Email when Monthly Usage Approaches Limit
Comment on Community site by Ian Wild (link).
The reason an email isn't sent is simply because this was never designed as part of the product. I don't think anyone would disagree that this is a good idea. I've added it to our worklist, but realistically it isn't something that's going to make the priority list for development at the moment.
What might help is if someone could put this into the PUG Issue tracker so we can track demand and prioritise this accordingly.

It's in our court - get voting!

This was raised in PUGIT on 28 Sep 07 as suggested, PUGIT 372, title as shown above.  It has since attracted 8 votes; please add to that number if you support the suggestion.
David
James
Grafter

Hi all,
It turns out that this item had already been raised into the Product Prioritisation tool.  We're due to be voting on it on Friday and will then be able to see where it will sit within our workstack.