cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Left Plusnet, full direct debit taken...nightmare

Andrewjdc
Hooked

Left Plusnet, full direct debit taken...nightmare

These days it seems every single time you do something with an organisation it generates further work for yourself.

I decided to leave Plusnet around a month ago following issues with the broadband dropping in and out consistently over the service term and also because it wasn't particularly cheap compared to some other options that would likely not result in any worse a service.

Upon leaving Plusnet sent me a letter and an EMail saying I owed them £343 (there or there abouts) for leaving the contract early. This was a bit of a shock so I had to get in touch and spend my time liaising with the company only to be told to just ignore the letter. Surely they should have controls in place to stop this sort of thing happening?!

Now, checking my bank balance they took a direct debit for a full months payment with the invoice date of 18/10/2019. My service transitioned on the 23rd of October...

I went to use the webchat to resolve, but it states they're all busy but i can phone them...No thank you, I don't have the time for that.

Please can someone advise on whether I will get a refund for the direct debit taken? I have now cancelled the direct debit so they can't do it again, but am losing the will to live with this company. Oh yes, I am from Yorkshire too...

Cheers

Andrew

3 REPLIES 3
Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

Re: Left Plusnet, full direct debit taken...nightmare

@Andrewjdc 

You may have put yourself into a Catch 22 position by cancelling your direct debit. It’s quite likely that Plusnet will try to refund the difference when they formally close your account but be stymied when they try to pay it back through the same route. I would reinstate the direct debit and only cancel it if you get an advance notice of a new payment being due next month. Alternatively if more money is taken next month you can always claim it back under the direct debit guarantee.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Andrewjdc
Hooked

They can send me a cheque if / when the refund fails. Presumably they will come across this issue quite a bit.

Cheers for the advice though

Andrew
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @Andrewjdc,

I'm sorry that you were sent an email and letter stating that you owe £343 in cancellation charges and were subsequently told to ignore this. I've had a look into this now to confirm what is going on and I have also arranged a refund for the over payment on your final bill, due to you leaving us part way through the billing month. This refund is normally automatically sent 28 days after the account closure but I can appreciate you wanting to get this sorted sooner, due to the poor experience that you've had.

My response contains some account specific information so I've added it as a ticket on your account that you can view here. Please get back in touch on here if you have any questions.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team