cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Left Plusnet, can't pay bill online, now threatened with debt collection agency

nealpr

Left Plusnet, can't pay bill online, now threatened with debt collection agency

I left Plusnet after my contract expired and move to BT, who said they would take care of everything to transfer to them.  I subsequently cancelled my Direct Debit to Plusnet believing my account was fully paid.

I've since had a bill for a notice period and a £30 cessation charge (even though I believe that charge was not applicable as I was simply transferring my broadband to another provider).  The letter advised me to pay on www.plus.net/pay - but it doesn't exist!  

Although I was reluctant, I tried to pay the bill online as suggested, but couldn't get onto that page, nor into my account (I'd never previously set up an online account, to my recollection) so tried calling customer services (I won't moan about the time wasted holding to be answered, everyone knows how bad that is) only to be told they couldn't take a payment by phone, and I should try online (again).

Having tried and failed a number of times, I gave up (temporarily) but had another try tonight - prompted by a further letter from Plusnets heavies "Past Due Credit Solutions' adding a further charge - advising me to pay them or threatening legal action to recover the debt.

What I'm really angry about is that:

1. the cessation charge has been levied - and it shouldn't have been (as I understand it)
  2. further charges have been added - because Plusnet's systems don't seem to want me to be able to pay the bill
  3. I can't seem to get anyone to give me any help with this - and no doubt the heavies will want to squeeze even more out of me - even though I'm prepared to pay the damn bill!

Can anyone help please?

7 REPLIES 7
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Re: Left Plusnet, can't pay bill online, now threatened with debt collection agency

I would suggest telephoning Plusnet to dispute the cease charge.

It maybe that BT chose to provide your services by installing a new telephone line. I beleive this would incur a cease charge on the old line. If so I suggest reclaiming the cease charge from BT.

Regards

Richard

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Left Plusnet, can't pay bill online, now threatened with debt collection agency

As well as following @RichardB advice, I would also follow one of the links and make a Formal Complaint in writing (not phone or chat as you need a record)

https://www.plus.net/help/legal/complaints-code-of-practice/

https://www.resolver.co.uk/companies/plusnet-complaints  (site approved by Martin Lewis of MoneySavingExpert fame)

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
OllieC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Hi there, 

I'm sorry to hear that you are unhappy. 

I have fully assessed your account and updated a ticket for you here: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=171512139

Thank you.

- Ollie 

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi there,

Thank you for getting in touch. I'm sorry to hear that you are unhappy.

I've reviewed your account and can see that we didn't receive notification from your new provider to inform us of your migration. It appears that they have installed a new line rather than taking over your existing line. As this was the case, the £30 cessation fee is applicable - this charge covers the cost from our supplier to remove broadband from your phone line.

I'm afraid that once a balance has been sent to debt recovery, we're unable to take the payment from this side. Please see here for more information on our failed payment process.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

As I pay by dd I have never had a problem with payments but I am concerned by the final statement in EmelyD's post regarding PN refusing payment once the balance has been sent to debt recovery.

Personally I think the users group need to take a look at this, surely all PN want is for the debt to be settled ? All it should take is a phone call from a senior member of staff to cancel the debt recovery request following confirmation hat payment as been made.

I have looked at the link provided and can see why a payment can be missed, in some cases it may not even be the fault of the customer, even more reason to review this issue

We are born into history and history is born into us.
SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Hello @nealpr

We are really sorry for any confusion the previous communication has caused. I have updated your account here.

Please get back to us once you have replied to the ticket.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@gleneagles wrote:

Personally I think the users group need to take a look at this, surely all PN want is for the debt to be settled ?

Just to confirm that this topic is being actively followed up by the SU's. 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.