cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaving without penalty at end of contract?

cspiby
Grafter

Leaving without penalty at end of contract?

Say my contract ends on 17th Oct and I want to move to another provider, when should I schedule the move to take place so I don't end up having to pay both providers for the service? Or would it be anytime after the 17th and Plusnet just charge pro-rata?
8 REPLIES 8
Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Re: Leaving without penalty at end of contract?

Hi @cspiby, I am sorry to hear you're thinking of leaving us.

Ideally you would want to ask your new provider to take over the services on the 17th October to avoid any cancellation charges. Once the account is closed, it will automatically generate a final bill after 21 days and a refund will be actioned for the number of days you've not used the services for that month.

I hope this helps.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
cspiby
Grafter

What is the penalty if I leave before that date? E.g 4th Oct
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to My Account / Billing

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to My Account / Billing

thanks for that, i was typing out a reply that ended with an error message

in brief, if changing provider  contact the new provider instead of canceling

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

I was under the impression that leaving at any time within the last 30 days of your contract should be penalty free.

cspiby
Grafter

I can't see anything in the terms and conditions to indicate this.
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @cspiby, I've provided the current cancellation fee (based on if you were to cancel today) here, this will reduce everyday.

As you pay for the services in advance for the month, if you were to cancel before the contract end date your invoice would reflect the termination charge but also amend the amount with any credits owed for service you have already paid for but not received. I've added a bit more detail on this on the ticket for you.

Hope this helps but please get back to us if you have any further queries.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

If you are leaving because you have seen a better price elsewhere, call the retentions people at plusnet and they may be able to match or better it.

- Why are you leaving and what ( if any) ISP/provider are you moving to?

If you are leaving because you want to move to another provider that isnt virgin media ie one that uses the openreach ( formerly known as BT ) network/wires etc then do not cancel with plusnet, as above you will have to pay the remainder of your ( minimum term) contract, instead your new provider/ISP should take the lead.

If you cancel with plusnet then you could be levied a cancellation ( cease) charge, your line will be disconnected, and then your new provider will have to re-provide your line, starting with the voice service ( even if you dont use it)  then the broadband (ADSL/VDSL/whatever)will have to be reconnected, all this will take time as in days/weeks.

In the above situation you should contact your new provider and they will do all the work without too much downtime