cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaving plus.net - ETC - anyone know off hand?

krs360
Grafter

Leaving plus.net - ETC - anyone know off hand?

Sorry, it's late. don't think PN are open. Thinking someone here may know..
Taken the plunge and decided after a few of years and accounts in different parts of the country that it is time for me to leave PN. I'm not unhappy with PN as such but the network in my area is of a speed that I consider these days to be unacceptable. I had better ADSL2 speeds than this two years ago when I lived in rural Australia. I had almost forgotten the days in which streaming one on demand content totally saturated the bandwidth.
I understand there are a few months of the contract left, does anyone know the cost of the ETC per month on the £18.44 deal + the ADSL wholesale cessation charge which I'm assuming PN pass onto the end user?
Thanks,
Ben.
8 REPLIES 8
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Leaving plus.net - ETC - anyone know off hand?

http://www.plus.net/info2/legal/price_guide.html but you can also look here and it might tell you https://portal.plus.net/my.html?s=0&action=account_summary
The cessation charge is only if you don't migrate
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

If there is anything that can be done to improve your speeds, we will do it.
If you want to post your line stats we (the community and staff) will suggest improvements that may assist.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I presume that either you are intending to swap to Virgin cable or you are on an exchange where BT only provide up to 8Mbps speeds (20CN) and there are LLU suppliers available.
If neither of those are the case swapping to another ISP is unlikely to improve things.
To check if you are geeting the speeds you should be getting I suggest you start a topic in the ADSL forum with the information requested here: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Quote from: jelv
If neither of those are the case swapping to another ISP is unlikely to improve things.

...as SYNCH speed is determined solely by the equipment (wires, junction boxes, distance etc.) between your home and the exchange - i.e. NOTHING to do with the service providing ISP, unless that ISP is a LLU provider and can offer ADSL2 where ISPs using BTW equipment can only get a 20CN service.
If there is no LLU then EVERYONE will be operating under the same constraints.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

avatastic
Grafter

Unless the OP was incorrectly provisioned on a fixed speed product of 2Mb or lower rather than Upto 8Mbps.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
krs360
Grafter

Hi all,
Sorry I have been really busy with work.
Thanks for the replies, sadly PN are great at resolving issues but I am afraid that your hands are tied. There seems to be fibre in all of the neighbouring areas but not here and no plans to install it
Virgin are due to install tomorrow, once up and running I then need to give PN notice of cancellation. The original post was to get an idea of the cancellation cost for my own reference.
joclark
Grafter

In regards to cancellation costs, they depend entirely on the contract you are in. Because you are ceasing the Plusnet service and activating with Virgin there would be a minimum  £30 cease fee applicable on your account, this is to remove the broadband from the BT network. If you contact the customer options team they will be able to tell you the specific amount.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@CRT,
Out of interest, is there a business process which feeds back "loss of business on BT networks" due to BTw not bothering to supply fibre in areas (possibly small pockets) where smaller operators can be bothered to meet customer needs?
The national network provider not offering fibre where a rival does is rather giving business away to the rival and mire to the point us detrimental to the retailers' revenue streams.  Yet another example of the BTw/BTOR monopoly "doing over" ISPs and CP retailers?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.