cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaving charges and remaining contract

Mars2050
Rising Star

Leaving charges and remaining contract

I am now looking for a new ISP or trying to because of recent changes at plusnet, I am not happy with.

I called up today to find out what the charges were for leaving the rest of my contract.

I have about 5 or so months left on my contract and know I would have to pay a small charge, for each month I have left. I wanted to see how much it were. Now when I agreed to the contract I were told back then, that it would be about 5 or six quid for each month. I were aware that ofcom regulations say you cant charge full price as you have not used the services.

Well first I got told £40 then were put through to the leaving team. I were informed that I would have to pay about £14 for each month and reason is, because I no longer have line rental saver. Well I don't but I am paying full price at £17.99 and it don't seem fair or right, I have to pay that much because I don't have LRS.

The staff were nice enough and I had a chat with him but informed me that plusnet have to pay BT wholesale, for a year and it costs plusnet. So that is apparently why I have to pay the high fees for the rest of my contract. The adviser also said, ISP's can charge full price for each month, even though I thought ofcom had stopped that?

Something is not right here and would like some straight answer and why I have to pay more, even though I am paying more for line rental anyway.

BTW I have not moved yet or am I doing a broadband cease, which I know you have to pay a charge for. That is about £40.

6 REPLIES 6
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: Leaving charges and remaining contract

You'll find the info here, scroll down for the early termination charges.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Don't forget that if you transfer to a LLU supplier you will be charge a cancellation charge as per the link from @Browni.

Mars2050
Rising Star

Well I contacted that team, forgot the name and they said I would have to pay £40 the most and will be less as time goes on.

I am not going to start a new thread so will say here. I asked about my account as Plusnet used to keep it open, encase you may want to come back. Like a dialup account. I have been told that, when you leave plusnet, they close your account down and you need to set up a new account if you come back in future.

For one, I think plusnet are being a bit tight about how fast they close you account down. Most give 30 days after you leave before they close down your email and account.

Apparently even if you pay for email to keep you account open, you still will need to set up a new account if you do return to PN as you can't order on that old account. So I am told. Very inefficient if you ask me.

So what is it if this is wrong?

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

I am sorry to hear you are leaving us.

We can leave your account open to retain any Plusnet mail addresses, for £1.06 per month. You would need to let us know if you would like to go ahead before your migration date.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Mars2050
Rising Star

Hi Anoush. I noticed you said this on kits thread.

I can see we've downgraded the account to a free account to retain an email address.

So what is it? Can you not do the same for me and I won't have to pay the email from what you said.

Don't know why I keep being told different things.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

It's something we would only do in exceptional circumstances on a case by case basis I'm afraid. By default, a Mail Only account costs £1.06 per month.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button