cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaving broadband mid contract due to mobile shutting down

gooners71

Leaving broadband mid contract due to mobile shutting down

hi. We only signed up to broadband and mobile 9 months ago.  With mobile shutting down I also want to move broadband as you get offered better deals (we have 5 family mobiles with Plusnet). We still have 9 months left on our broadband contract but I feel I would never have signed up for

that contract had I known we wouldn’t have been able to keep our mobiles. 

have looked at BT and EE who are under

the same umbrella as plusnet, both offer discounts if you have broadband with them - which unless I pay to leave plusnet I can’t do.  

has anyone successfully moved to either and had their contract with plusnet waived?

7 REPLIES 7
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Leaving broadband mid contract due to mobile shutting down

@gooners71 

You can transfer to BT without incurring cancellation charges but you must arrange it through the Customer Options Team by ringing them on 0800 013 2632.

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Account-Billing/Ending-contract-without-fees/td-p/1921870 

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@bill888 I think this arrangement only applies if it is a move to a BT or EE FTTP service, which may or may not be what the OP wants.

gooners71

Thanks all. Phoned EE yesterday who said nothing to do with them and to go back to plusnet. Incidentally plusnet told me to phone EE. Will give BT a call on Tuesday
Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@gooners71 

Currently there is no formal announcement that Plusnet mobile is closing or mention of the timescale.

You will only get a transfer without cancellation charges, should one be possible in this circumstance, if you arrange it through the Plusnet COT on 0800 013 2632.

If you read the Mobile board on this forum you will find pointers to several alternative mobile operators. One of these combined with Plusnet broadband will very probably give you the services you require at a lower price than obtainable from the mainstream ISP combined deals.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

@Baldrick1 wrote:

@gooners71 

Currently there is no formal announcement that Plusnet mobile is closing or mention of the timescale.

There are clear announcements that Plusnet Mobile is closing  - the Mobile homepage encourages customers to move to EE. The one thing that isn't made clear is exactly when Plusmnet Mobile is closing.

I have also received an e-mail from Plusnet Mobile which states: 

We will be closing all our mobile services in the coming months. This means you’ll need to switch your service to another provider in the future.

The Mobile FAQS make it clear that there are no ETCs if you move to another provider, even if it is not EE:

If you don’t want to move your mobile service to EE, you can choose to move to another provider, free of charge. No pressure, simple as that.

Until you leave, you'll be billed as normal. After this, we'll cancel your service and stop billing you.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@corringham 

We can argue about the formality of the ‘announcement’ and the fact that you have to read the second level FAQs to learn that the service will close at some future date, yet to be defined. All the headlines seem to be related to Plusnet not offering mobile to new customers.

My  response to ETCs is related to the OP’s stated wish to cancel their broadband service without ETCs due to the future closure of the unrelated mobile service.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

@Baldrick1 wrote:

My  response to ETCs is related to the OP’s stated wish to cancel their broadband service without ETCs due to the future closure of the unrelated mobile service.

Fair enough.

However, I think confusion arises from  the fact that unlike many multi-service companies Plusnet have never offered a combined broadband/phone/mobile deal, just broadband and mobile as separate deals. Many people choose to get all their services from one company to reduce the hassle of tracking end dates of each, and often expect a combined package to offer a better deal. With Plusnet that has never been true, and now with the withdrawal of mobile (and land-line phone if you upgrade to FTTP) it is understandably upsetting customers who are now stuck in a long broadband contract as a result of showing loyalty to Plusnet.