cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaving Plusnet

lemvek

Leaving Plusnet

I gave notice to leave plusnet after a few months due to failings on bringing across my old number.  After hours on the customer helpline trying to fix this issue, I find myself having to chase again to have line rental paid in advance return.

Part of the reason for joining plusnet was for the customer service, but the large wait times for customer services (coupled with no resolution of the issue) have shown my faith had been misplaced.

Is there any way to resolve this (I am still on hold after having signed up to the forum, viewed previous questions and writing this message....)?

12 REPLIES 12
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Leaving Plusnet

According to the legal bit the LRS is not refundable unless they make a change to the T&C to your disadvantage which is not the case in your situation

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If part of the agreement when the customer signed up was to bring the old number across Plusnet are in breach of contract.

I suspect the only way to resolve this one will be the small claims court.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

To an extent yes

But- not having done it myself - I would be surprised if the agreement to bring the old number across wasn't a best endeavours as it depends on the cooperation of the previous holder and BT Openreach

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

I thought it was an OFCOM and EU requirement to allow number porting

European Union

Member States are required to ensure the provision of number portability to subscribers pursuant to Article 30 of the Universal Services Directive (2002/22/EU) as amended by Directive 2009/136/EC.

United Kingdom

Powers to enable Ofcom to set conditions requiring communications providers to provide number portability are set out in sections 51 and 58 of the Communications Act 2003 (the "Act").

Obligations imposed on a communications provider to provide number portability to its subscribers and to provide portability to other communications providers are set out in General Condition 18 ("Number Portability"). Ofcom has got powers to enforce any breach of that Condition under sections 94 to 103 of the Act. Civil liability for breach of that Condition could also arise, but Ofcom must first give a consent for the bringing of such civil proceedings under section 104 of the Act.

Sounds like it might need OFCOM permission to pursue a civil claim though...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there. I'm sorry to hear we've not been successful to bring your telephone number over.

As the number seems to be ceased, it's a bit tricky as the rangeholder isn't showing as BT. This means that the number once started life on another network [usually Sky, TalkTalk or Virgin Media] and it's gone back to them.

However, I've placed the import order one more time and I've also sent an email over to the Openreach Migration Services to see if there's anything we can do to grab it back for you.

To set expectations, this may not be successful as it generally depends on the rangeholder accepting the request.

I've set myself a reminder here to follow up for you as soon as we have more info.

Apologies for the inconvenience this is causing you.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
lemvek

Gandalf,

Thank you for coming back to me.  Unfortunately after three failed attempts and three months of having a number that I could seldom use, I have already left plusnet.  I am trying to leave as quickly as possible without a financial impact which I was promised when I gave notice.  Please can you arrange this?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'm really sorry to hear you've made the decision to leave us.

I can't arrange that I'm afraid. All you'll need to do is place an order with your new provider.

However, in my opinion, it may be worth holding off to see if I'm able to get your telephone number back? Openreach are now in the process of contacting the rangeholder to try and get it back for you. We should know more tomorrow.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

And the answer is unfortunately not. Sad I've just received a response back advising because of the length of time that has passed since the telephone number was ceased (nearly 3 months), the rangeholder has rejected the request.

It looks like I've got here too late. Cry I'm very sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Gandalf I think the Op is asking if he can get the unused period of the LRS payment refunded as he claims Customer services promised there would be no financial impact if he left PlusNet because of the failure to port the number.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I can't refund LRS I'm afraid as it's non-refundable.

Porting a telephone number isn't guaranteed, it's a best endeavour as indicated by Oldjim.

With that said, it doesn't seem to be the end of the road yet. I got into the office this morning to see a response from Migration Services advising they've requested for the number to be ported to the BT network as a gesture of goodwill.

We've got to wait to see what the rangeholder/losing service provider comes back with.

Fingers crossed it doesn't get rejected like last time. I'll post back here when I get another response.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Isn't it too late to be trying to port the number?

@lemvek wrote:

Gandalf,

Thank you for coming back to me.  Unfortunately after three failed attempts and three months of having a number that I could seldom use, I have already left plusnet.  I am trying to leave as quickly as possible without a financial impact which I was promised when I gave notice.  Please can you arrange this?

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

As far as I can see we're still providing services. So I plan to do everything I can to rectify this.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet